By Hanna House

Fires, school cancellations, weather and many other things are a concern anywhere you go. Here at Southwestern, they take the necessary steps to ensure everyone’s safety by having an Emergency System that alerts students of all of these and more.

Southwestern has decided to go with a new system that allows a couple more things than the old one.

One of the biggest differences from the old system is that this system has social media capabilities. Posting an update to the system can automatically send an update to the social media cites in addition to students’ email and phones.

“Last year we had a system that really all we could do was send out real emergency things,” said Sara Weinert, vice president of communications. “We couldn’t use it for a lot of different things.”

This new system will allow different groups on campus to have their own mass messages sent out through the system rather than just being used for emergencies.

“One of the changes we made was to have an opt-in service because we were pulling from our databases here from the school that was pulling people that are off campus and they didn’t want it,” said Zak Larson, systems analyst.

As Weinert said, one of the struggles from last year was that the system had people on it that didn’t want to be on it, so they decided to go with an opt-in service. That way, only the people that really want it would be getting it.

“It was really helpful with the situation that we had when we had to use it last semester. I think everybody benefitted from it because they knew what was going on,” said Marci Diepenbrock, athletic training freshman.

“As far as we know, we are not required to have any kind of emergency notification but we will because that’s the right thing to do,” said Weinert.

Hanna House is a sophomore majoring in communication. You can email her at hanna.house@sckans.edu.