By Min Jiao

The men’s soccer team suffered a 7-1 loss to Southwestern Christian University Saturday. (Alyssa Richardson/Collegian photographer)

The men’s soccer team suffered a 7-1 loss to Southwestern Christian University Saturday. They were trailing  5-0 in the first half.  They scored their first goal in the second half of the game. Jacob Montoya, sophomore middle fielder and defender, acquired the first goal. However, Southwestern Christian University scored two more goals following that.

Joseph Yeisley, head men’s soccer coach, said, “Players worked hard today. We didn’t give up throughout the whole game.  We just had a bad 20 minutes. If we clean up the 20 minutes, we can stay in the game. We’re such a young team and we didn’t know what it’s like to play at this level. ”

Shawn Pancoast, freshman goalkeeper, said “It was a challenging game but we pretty good for the most of the game. We just have too many letdowns. I started off good but I made a few mistakes and I can’t have those.”

Carlos Cruz, sophomore middle fielder, said, “Even though we lost 7-1, I’m really proud of the team. We made mistake here and there, but we kept our heads up and had a lot of heart. We lost this game because of little mistakes here and there, but it’s alright because it’s not a conference game. We’re going to take this and learn from it and get better.”

Men’s soccer has now a record of 1-2. They will compete with Oklahoma Christian University Sept. 11 in Oklahoma City.

Min Jiao is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her. Min.Jiao@sckans.edu.