By Min Jiao

The South Kansas Symphony concert will perform at 3 p.m. on Sept. 23 in Richardson Performing Arts Center.

The sixty college students and community members present five or six concerts throughout the school year.

Daniel Stevens, associate professor of music/director of instrumental activities, is conductor and violist. He said for the first concert the main pieces are Shubert’s “Unfinished Symphony” and “Overture to the Wasps” by Vaughan Williams. There will also be a series of other smaller works.

“I always like to try to find balance to music for each concert and even each concert to be a little different. This first concert is more of a classical, formal concert. We like to do different types of concerts. For this particular concert I wanted some pieces that were from music of the United States, or from England, or from Germany and I like to get different styles. Some of them are slow and beautiful and some are fast, energetic type pieces,” said Stevens.

Nathan Johnson, video game design junior, plays the string bass, said he really likes to play the low notes and he is really into jazz right now. “One of the big challenges is we’re playing hard music this concert and it’s been tough to learn. The most difficult song is called ‘Unfinished Symphony’. I expect the first concert will go well,” said Johnson.

Tiffany Rea, philosophy & religion, minor in music & worship senior, plays the violin. She said they put together the entire concert in a span of six weeks. The first half will be pretty soothing and then after intermission they will surprise people with a special piece for the finale that is really energetic and brings it all to life. “My favorite piece I’d have to say is ‘Overture to the Wasps’. That’s very energetic. I’d also say Shubert’s ‘Unfinished Symphony’, but that’s the most difficult piece.”

You may get more information about South Kansas Symphony at http://www.sckans.edu/sks-band/.

Min Jiao is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her min.jiao@sckans.edu.