Whitney Baker, senior infielder, hits a foul ball April 3 at Broadway Sports Complex against the Blue Jays.  Baker was responsible for two of the eight hits during the second game against Tabor. The Builders dominated in both games against Tabor and are currently on a three-game win streak. In the double header they won 4-1 and 6-2.  Currently they are ranked fourth in the conference with a 4-2 record. The Lady Builders play the University of St. Mary at 3p.m. and 5p.m. today in Leavenworth.  Photo by Samantha Gillis / Collegian Photographer

Whitney Baker, senior infielder, hits a foul ball April 3 at Broadway Sports Complex against the Blue Jays. Baker was responsible for two of the eight hits during the second game against Tabor. The Builders dominated in both games against Tabor and are currently on a three-game win streak. In the double header they won 4-1 and 6-2. Currently they are ranked fourth in the conference with a 4-2 record. The Lady Builders play the University of St. Mary at 3p.m. and 5p.m. today in Leavenworth. Photo by Samantha Gillis / Collegian Photographer

By Samantha Gillis

Three wins could be what the Lady Builders were looking for to hoist them into an upward climb to peak this season. The Builders split with Bethany College at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. March 30 in Lindsborg.

“They simply got more runners around the bases,” said Amber Good, head softball coach. A 6-2 loss in the first game left the Lady Builders upset and ready to fire back. “The second game we really came out hitting and didn’t hardly leave any base runners on.”

Hillary Hull, sophomore pitcher, doesn’t feel she did her best the second game when she started as pitcher. “I gave them three big hits,” she said.

Despite the hits the Builders captured the win 6-4.

Some of the momentum from Tuesday brought the women into their conference game against the Bluejays, at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Saturday at the Broadway Sports Complex. Tabor’s starting pitcher tallied up three no-hitters during the first few games of the season. “The girls felt it was going to be difficult game,” said Good.

The Builders came out swinging from the very beginning, earning two runs in the second inning and another two runs in the third. The Builders collected eight hits, two of which derived from Whitney Baker, senior infielder, and another two from Kayla Berry, freshman outfielder.

Rachel Ratcliff, sophomore pitcher, struck out seven Blue Jays and Alyssa Yates, sophomore pitcher, struck out two out of the four batters she saw.

During the second game the Builders were not letting up. “We kept lining up the hits,” said Good.

Bailey LeGrand, freshman utility, went 1-3 but drove in Nicole Wilson, junior utility, and Ratcliff for two RBI’s in the third inning.

The Lady Builders only slammed four hits with 23 at bats while Tabor bagged eight hits and 25 at bats. “It came down to execution, we were just able to drive our runners in,” said Good.

LeGrand hit a double. She said, “I could’ve made it a triple but I was so shocked. I haven’t hit like that since high school.”

LeGrand tried to stay relaxed when she played at second base for only the second time. “I have never played second before the Bethany game. I know that there was going to be a lot of action hit there and I would have to be constantly moving,” she said.

LeGrand then switched to catcher for the second game allowing Wilson to step into second base, the position she has started in the past two years for the Lady Builders. Wilson was moved to short stop because Monica Sauber, senior infielder, stepped up to be catcher when the team fell short a catcher.

LeGrand feels more comfortable at the catcher position. “I played catcher all through high school,” she said. She also caught for Hull for several years so she knows her pitching style.

Good said, “Bailey did really well this week. She worked really hard. We put her in for Monica to relieve her and give her some playing time somewhere else.”

“The line up this weekend obviously worked well, but we will continue to move around players to win ball games,” said Good.

Good is hoping the momentum from the weekend will keep them going to peak. “The team does a great job at rolling off errors and losses. We need to stay in this groove,” said Good.