Softball Lady Builders won one of their two games. The first one ended 8-0 in favor of the Builders. For the second one, the Bulldogs came back and captures a 6-2 victory.(Erica Dunigan/Collegian Photographer.)

A slight breeze blew in from the south as the Lady Builder softball took the field against McPherson College April 17 at Broadway Complex. There was no doubt that the Lady Builders were ready to bring the fire after their last game got canceled due to rain against Tabor College.

Right off the bat the Builders were lead by Rachel Ratcliffe, senior pitcher, who only gave up one hit the entire game. Ratcliffe helped the Builders to a 4-0 early run against the Lady Bulldogs. The Builders never let the Bulldogs capture a run and ended the fifth inning 8-0. Then the coaches and refs gathered, which resulted in the “run a head rule.” This brings the game to an early end when one team has at least eight runs after five innings.

Game two showed different results as the Lady Bulldogs jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the second inning. The Builders were unable to string hits together as the Bulldogs captured the win 6-2. After the double-header ended the Lady Builder record moves to 16-14 overall and 2-6 in KCAC play.

After finishing the double-header against the Bulldogs, the softball Lady Builders will have their strike out cancer and  makeup game against Tabor College at home on April 19 at 3 and 5 p.m.

Erica Dunigan is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu