Kayla Berry, sophomore outfielder, dives for a foul ball during the Strike Out Cancer game on April 12. (Samantha Gillis/Collegian photographer)

Kayla Berry, sophomore outfielder, doesn’t always know who the softball team is going to play when she shows up for a game, but that doesn’t stop her from competing at her best.

“Get me there and I will play,” said Berry.

That is the attitude that the Lady Builders will need to have as they take on the conference leading Bethany Swedes April 16.

The Swedes are 20-21 overall and 8-0 against Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference opponents. They also have the conference’s second highest batting average at 0.334.

“For us, it is not going out there and playing the No. 1 softball team. It is going out there and playing another softball team,” said Bailey LeGrand, sophomore catcher. “We try not to look at what other teams have done.”

The Builders’ record stands at 11-15 overall on the year and 4-4 in the KCAC. They have been on an upswing, winning three straight and five of their last six games.

“It is just about getting the momentum,” said Berry. “Once you start winning, it is hard to stop the momentum.”

The game begins at 1 p.m. at the Broadway Sports Complex.

The Lady Builders won both games in a double-header against Sterling College April 13. The final scores read 5-2, 7-2 respectively.

The team is currently in the top position in runners struck out per game in the KCAC and Amber Good, head softball coach, says that the pitchers didn’t slow down in Wednesday’s game.

“We received great pitching from Rachel (Ratcliffe, junior pitcher) and Alysse (Yates, junior pitcher),” said Good. “From the plate we put the ball in play and moved runners around the bases.”

Berry says that the team was down 2-1 in the third inning of the first game, but things started picking up.

“In the fourth inning, our bats starting clicking,” said Berry. “We had the same thing happen in the second game where things just started clicking and we had good defense to back it up.”

For LeGrand, the win came at a good time in the season.

“I knew we needed two conference wins,” said LeGrand. “It is that time of season to start bringing things together.”

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.

Edited by Lea Shores.