The softball team is gearing up for its first home game March 18 against Hillsdale Free Will Baptist College.

After being shut out of its first game of the spring season with a no-hitter by the opposing team, the Lady Builder softball team fired up the bats for the second game.

The women lost both games 0-3 and 6-3 March 3 at MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe. However, Amber Good, head coach, is finding what the team did right in its first outing. She said, “In the second game our bats came alive and we got the monkey off our back about not getting players on base.”

In both games, Good was confident in the defense. “Defensively, as a whole, we played really well. The errors that we made in the first game were first game jitters,” said Good.

Monica Sauber, senior utility, said, “I felt like we came back. We relaxed more and all we wanted to do was kill the ball.”

Hillary Hull, sophomore pitcher and outfielder, had a big hit to rally up the team. “It only took that one hit,” said Sauber.

The team made three double plays. “They were first-to-third double plays. We did a great job about getting the out when there were bases loaded,” said Sauber.

In tough situations, Sauber knows what her strengths are. “I am pretty good at staying calm, and making sure people aren’t getting down on themselves. The biggest thing is to have fun.”

Nicole Wilson, junior utility, hit her first out-of-the-park home run. “It was deep center,” she said.

Directly after touching home plate, Wilson hugged her father. “We both looked at each other and said, ‘Mom is gonna be pissed.’ So then my dad proceeded to call her and I could hear her scream ‘Oh my god, you have got to be kidding me,’” said Wilson.

The Lady Builders went 1-4 over the weekend. Their game March 4, which would have been against Evangel University, was canceled.