By Maggie Dunning

Audrey Vorderlandwehr, senior in fielder, goes in for the swing.

Audrey Vorderlandwehr, senior in fielder, goes in for the swing. (Bailey VenJohn/Collegian photographer)

The Lady Builders lost the first spring tournament of the season. They played five games March 7 and 8 against Midland, Hastings, Baker, University of Science and Art of Oklahoma and Graceland in the Friends University Spring Tournament.

The softball team had three close loses in the tournament. The ladies lost 9-10 against Hastings, 1-2 against Baker, and 7-8 in the last game of the tournament to Graceland.

In the other two games the Lady Builders lost 3-14 to Midland and 0-3 to the University of Science and Art of Oklahoma.

The team plans on using nice weather, when it happens, to practice live batting and pitching to help improve the players for those in future games.

Mandy Watson, senior catcher, spoke about the challenges facing the team as the season goes on. Watson said, “It’s an old and young team. It’s a freshman or a senior playing almost. So we need to build more chemistry together by playing more together.”

Watson also said that the team plans to improve in every aspect as the season goes on.

The team also has an ultimate goal for this season, “Make it to the conference and be a top contender in it as well,” said Watson.

The Lady Builders next game will be at 3:00 p.m. on March 11 in Winfield. They will play against Bacone. The next tournament will be March 13 and 14 in McPherson. 

Maggie Dunning is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at margaret.dunning@sckans.edu.