By Samantha Gillis

The Lady Builder softball team had a bit of a stumble this weekend, splitting with the University of Saint Mary and losing both games to Ottawa. The 1-3 weekend record pushed the women back to 5-5 in conference and 6-17 overall.

The women played the University of Saint Mary April 9 in Leavenworth. The Builders split with the 3-21 Spires. The first game went to St. Mary 2-4, and the second was snatched by the Builders 14-6. In the first game, both the Builders and the Spires tallied up six hits. Whitney Baker, senior infielder, smashed an out-of-the-park home run, scoring one run herself and bringing in an RBI. Southwestern had four errors and St. Mary had one.

In the second game St. Mary came out strong in the first inning, plopping two runs on the board. SC came back with a vengeance, scoring two runs in the second inning and every inning afterwards and ending with a 14-6 win.

Lead off Monica Sauber, senior utility, went four for five with one double and scored two runs. Rachel Ratcliffe, sophomore pitcher, went two for four with one RBI. Bailey LeGrand, freshman utility, went three for two with one double. Baker went three for three with a grand slam in the fourth inning. The Builders raked up 15 hits and St. Mary’s only connected with the ball nine times. Defensively, Alysse Yates, sophomore pitcher, started on the mound for the Builders. The Builders cut their errors in half from the first game while St. Mary doubled theirs.

On Saturday the Builders traveled to Ottawa University where they were swept by the Braves. They lost the first game 1-5 and the second game ended with a score of 4-9.

Baker leads the women with a 327 batting average, 19 RBI’s and 19 runs. Sauber is second with 12 RBI’s. Nicole Wilson, junior utility, is second in runs scored with 11.

The Builders play next at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. April 14 against Langston University in Langston, Okla. Their next home games are at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturday against Hillsdale Free Baptist University at the Broadway Sports Complex.

Samantha Gillis is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at samantha.gillis@sckans.edu.