By Kyle Killgore

Just like the rest of the season, weather dictated the conference tournament moving games from Topeka to Fun Valley park in Hutchinson, and pushing the start time back from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

The Builders came into the conference tournament with a 5-11 conference record putting them as the sixth seed taking on the three seed, Kansas Wesleyan the first round.

Southwestern struggled to get the bats going against the Coyotes only mustering six hits, two of which came from Audrey Vorderlandwehr, sophomore first baseman.

Kansas Wesleyan scored three runs in the second on four hits, including a double, and an error, in the bottom of the fourth inning to jump to a five run lead. The Coyotes scored two more times in the fifth to extend the lead to seven.qx

After losing to Kansas Wesleyan, the Builders would be forced to face the University of Saint Mary in the first game in the loser’s bracket of the double elimination tournament.

The Builders got the bats going early. Southwestern scored six times in bottom of the first.

Three Builders had a multi-hit game. Devan Howard, junior outfielder, Sara Blackburn, junior outfielder, and Shelby Tucker, sophomore utility, all had two hits in the game.

There were only two Builders that entered into the game that did not get a hit.

Southwestern would score another run in the bottom of the fifth inning, and ultimately win the game 7-2 to advance.

A change in the bracket left the Builders playing top seeded Friends rather than Kansas Wesleyan again.

Friends was coming off their first loss to a conference opponent this season, after losing to Ottawa 3-2.

The Builders were able to get a double play in the bottom of the first to get out of an early jam, with a runner in scoring position.

An RBI double scored the first run of the game for the Falcons in the bottom of the second. A set of back-to-back RBI doubles came later in the inning giving Friends an early 3-0 lead.

The bottom of the third seemed to be more of the same for the Faclons scoring five times on four hits and three walks, to extend their lead to 8-0.

That’s how the game would finish.

The Builders did not have the bats working in their favor. Kylea Wilson, sophomore shortstop, and Megan Walentynowicz, freshman third baseman, recorded the only hits for Southwestern in the game.

After the loss, the Builders were eliminated from the conference tournament.

Southwestern ended the season with a record of 16-24, and 6-12 against conference opponents.

The rest of the conference tournament will take place tomorrow, May 5.

Kyle Killgore is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at Kyle.Killgore@sckans.edu