Hillary Hull, sophomore pitcher, throws the pitch during the first game against Nebraska Wesleyan on March 26 at Broadway Sports Complex. The Lady Builders lost both games. Samantha Gillis/Collegian photographer

By Samantha Gillis

Southwestern softball went 0-2 during the double header against Nebraska Wesleyan at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. at Broadway Sports Complex Friday. The score for both of the games was 5-4.

In the first game the Lady Builders rallied in the 7th inning, starting with Kayla Berry, freshman outfielder, who smashed a fly ball to right field for a double. Baily LeGrand, freshman outfielder, then walked on a full count. Kaylee Hicks, sophomore infielder, shot a grounder to an opposing short stop who fumbled it, Berry took advantage of the situation and touched home. Monica Sauber, senior utility, used the momentum her teammates created and hit a deep fly which bounced onto the warning track in right center field. The hit generated two RBI’s and brought the score to 4-5. Sauber also got a stand up double.

The Builders were back at the top of the order when Nicole Wilson, junior utility, hit a sac-fly to right field. Sauber advanced to third, putting the team in scoring position. Rachel Ratcliffe, sophomore pitcher, approached the plate with two outs against her but a runner ready to tie-up the game. Ratcliffe fouled the ball twice before striking out. The Lady Builders lost 5-4.

In the second game, the Lady Builders bounced back firing. They were ahead by the 5th 4-0, and then Nebraska Wesleyan tied it up by the 7th inning extending the game into extra innings. Nebraska Wesleyan scored the 5th run in the 9th inning to end the tie and walk away with both wins.

The Lady Builders play again at 4p.m. and 6 p.m. March 30 against Bethany College in Lindsborg. The game will be their second conference double header.

Samantha Gillis is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at samantha.gillis@sckans.edu.