A six-game winning streak is nothing to shake a stick at, and the softball team hopes to continue the streak into today’s games against fifth-place Sterling College. The women play the Warriors at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. at Sterling.

The Lady Builders have swept the competition in the last week, winning all of their past three double headers against, Langston University, Hillsdale Free Will Baptist College and McPherson College.

The women’s first triumph was April 14 at Langston Okla. The Builders walked away with an 11-6 win and then run-ruled them 13-1 in the second game. In the second game both Whitney Baker, senior infielder, and Morgan Stacy, junior outfielder, cranked two triples.

Stacy contributes her triples to the beginning of the season. “We had to be indoors for a couple of months due to the weather, and pretty much all you can do is hit. I think that working hard and making the best of that situation has allowed me to be successful at the plate now,” she said.

Kaylee Hicks, sophomore infielder, believes in her offensive game, but doesn’t feel as though her hitting has been very strong this season. “But luckily I have teammates that pick me up,” she said.

The following day Hillsdale made the trek to Broadway Sports Complex for a rescheduled double header. The afternoon ended with the Builders toppling the Saints 9-0 and 8-2.

McPherson served as Southwestern’s only conference competition during the week. During the first game the two teams were nearly identical statistically with four hits, one error, 24 putouts by the Builders and 23 putouts by the Bulldogs. Defensively, Rachel Ratcliffe, sophomore pitcher struck out 12 batters, while McPherson’s pitcher, Andrea Falk, sophomore, only struck out three Lady Builders. Ratcliffe was awarded the KCAC Pitcher of the Week for her efforts.

In the second game against the Bulldogs, Bailey LeGrand, freshman utility, Monica Sauber, senior utility, and Nicole Wilson, junior utility, all went 1-3 and Baker went 2-3. McPherson got the first run on the board in the second inning. The Builders didn’t let it phase them, tacking two runs up in the third inning and two more in the fifth. 

Stacy played right field in both McPherson games. The games were important to her because it was the first time all season her parents were able to drive up from Texas to watch her play a home game. “I was very excited for my parents to come,” she said. She had one thing going through her mind. “I was just ready to play and continue our winning streak.”

The Lady Builders are currently 7-5 and fourth place in conference. They play their last regular season games Saturday against second-place Friends University. It will be senior day for Sauber and Baker.