Garrett Chapman

The Builders add two to the win column as they took both games in the conference battle against Sterling. They now stand at 7-10 overall and 3-1 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

The first game of Saturday afternoon’s double-header ended in the favor of the Builders 5-2. The game remained scoreless until the top of the third inning when Sterling got a runner safely across home plate to take the lead 1-0.

Sterling didn’t stay on top long as the Builders came out swinging in the bottom of the third. The Builders were able to put two points on the scoreboard and added three more before entering the seventh inning.

Going into the top of the seventh the Builders help a 5-1 lead. Sterling got off to a late try at a last inning comeback but was only able to put one run on the board.

Not only did Southwestern have the edge on points but also in hits, at bats, runs batted in, and walks. The Builders had nine hits, two more than Sterling. They were also able to bat in three runners compared to Sterlings two. Throughout the game, the Ladies were walked four times and only gave up one walk.

The second game of the double-header was a much tighter battle coming down to the last inning. Southwestern managed to sweep the series with a 2-1 victory.

The game remained scoreless until the bottom of the third when Southwestern took a 1-0 lead. They maintained the one run lead until the fifth inning when sterling managed to knock in a base runner.

The Builders got the game winning run across home plate when Taylor Easum, junior in-fielder, singled to right-center field. Her hit knocked Allison Flinn, freshman pitcher, to home plate.

Throughout the game the Builders left eight base-runners on base while Sterling left five. Again, the Builders had nine hits and held Sterling to five. Devan Howard, senior outfielder, led the team with two hits.

The Builders next game is on the road. The first game of the double-header will start at 1 p.m. Apr. 2 in Leavenworth where they will take on St. Mary’s.

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Garrett.Chapman@sckans.edu