By Maggie Collett

Any given morning, students are found on campus with bags under their eyes and energy drinks in hand. Yawns tend to be more prevalent than answers during 8 a.m. classes, and there is often someone sleeping in the back row. Sleep deprivation can be blamed for many of those symptoms.

According to “Sleep Habits and Patterns of College Students: A Preliminary Study,” by Walter C. Buboltz, Jr., PhD, Franklin Brown, MA, and Barlow Soper, PhD, college students are heavily affected by sleep deprivation.

The lack of sleep can lead to “tension, irritability, depression, confusion, and generally lower life satisfaction.” The students whose sleep schedules change dramatically on the weekends can develop concentration problems
Wallingford Hall has constant hallway activity. Aaron Burney, sports management freshman, said, “We can hear everything.”

Burney usually goes to bed between midnight and 1 a.m. and wakes up around 8 a.m. during the week, sometimes earlier for various basketball activities.

On the weekends, Burney said that he usually gets to bed around 1 a.m. but sleeps all day. His roommate typically doesn’t affect Burney’s sleep schedule. “We go to bed around the same time,” said Burney.

In Cole Hall, Autumn East, history freshman, said that she prefers to get 11 hours of sleep per night.  Most nights, though, she only gets around five hours or, “maybe six,” said East.

Anastasia Prokopis, business sophomore, is a resident assistant in Cole Hall. She said that she feels the women in Cole Hall probably don’t get enough sleep. “[They] have weird sleep schedules,” said Prokopis. She also said that she doesn’t feel as if she gets enough sleep.

Prokopis said some of the reasons the residents stay up late are because of hanging out with friends and studying. “Socializing is probably the big one,” said Prokopis. “Time management would help people get to bed earlier.”
Prokopis said sleep deprivation has many negative consequences. “You’re tired,” she said. “Sports and performing arts people wouldn’t be able to perform as well.”

Whether or not you got your eight hours of sleep last night, a little extra sleep is beneficial to all. Prokopis said, “I like nap time.”

Maggie Collett is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at margaret.collett@sckans.edu.