Shane Neises, senior forward, struggles to get the ball past a St. Mary's defender Oct. 10. The men lost 3-0 to the Spires.

By Lacie Holbert

The men and women’s soccer teams prepare for their first away conference game facing Tabor College, Oct.14.  Going into the game, the men’s team is currently ranked No. 7 facing the No. 5 ranked Blue Jays. The women’s team, which is currently ranked No. 3, faces Tabor College, who is ranked No. 10 in the KCAC standings.

The women’s team won 1-0 over the University of St. Mary in double overtime Oct. 10. Nicole Mound, freshmen midfielder, scored the winning goal for the Lady Builders with about eight minutes left in the overtime.

Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach, said, “We did not play up to our potential against St. Mary. As a team we did not possess the ball as well as we could have. We appeared to be a little flustered and did not have the momentum that we normally do. We still got the win and that’s important. I told the girls before the game that good teams win even when they don’t play well. The girls have a goal of being in the top four in conference. In order to achieve that goal we are going to have to be able to handle days that we do not play to our potential and still be successful. That’s what we did against St. Mary and I am proud of the girls for that.”

Mound said, “I definitely think the cold weather affected the way the team played. I know it affected me for sure. With the colder weather it took a little longer it seemed for everyone to get going. I think we could have played a little better and should have finished in the time regulation.”

Morgan Taylor, junior midfielder, pushes the ball away from her opponents during the double overtime game against the St. Mary Spires at home Oct. 10. The women won 1-0, putting them in a tie for first place in the conference.

The men’s team lost 3-0 against the University of St. Mary, Oct. 10. George McNitt, junior midfielder, said, “The result of the game was a disappointment. We came out with a lot of energy in the first half and tried to be a little more offensive than past games. We should of put away two goals but unfortunately did not. As a team we have not had the greatest luck this season with finishing the opportunities we have. We struggled with making adjustments due to injuries and it’s always to the other team’s advantage. Our opponent built their confidence off of that which makes it tougher for us.”

The women’s team will resume play Oct. 12, hosting Sterling College. The game was called due to severe lightning and rain showers Oct. 7.  The women’s team played 60 minutes before officials called the game. On Oct. 12, the women’s team will only have to play a remainder of 27:54 in order for it to be called a game. Southwestern was up 1-0 before the game was called. Morgan Constantine, sophomore forward, has scored the only goal so far.

The men’s game against Sterling was rained out Oct. 7. It was rescheduled Oct.12.
Results of the Sterling game were not available at press time.

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at lacie.holbert@sckans.edu.