With five conference games left, the soccer teams are getting ready to host their next opponent, McPherson College, Oct. 21. The 2-1-2 Lady Bulldogs come to Winfield to face the 4-1 Lady Builders at 5 p.m.

The men’s team will face the Bulldogs, whose current conference record is 5-0, at 7 p.m.

The women’s team lost 3-2 against Bethel College Oct. 16. Jamie Harkness, junior defender, scored the first goal for the Lady Builders. Morgan Constantine, sophomore forward, scored the second goal off of a free kick in the last 30 minutes.

Constantine said, “We came out flat and not ready to play. We did not start playing our game of soccer until the last 30 minutes of the game. We started playing hard and looked good as a team. It kind of lit a fire under us because we had not been scored on in conference play until this game.”

The men’s team lost 2-1 to Bethel College Oct. 16. Stefan Carter, freshman midfielder, scored the only goal for the Builders.

D.J. Donner, freshman defender, said, “As a team we played fairly well. We got off to a rough start on some of the calls by the officials unfortunately. I think the officials were not controlling the game the way it should have been which did not help. The last 30 minutes of the game was very physical.  Everyone was doing what they could to get the ball and make something happen.”

The women’s team won 1-0 against Tabor College Oct. 14. Nicole Mound, freshman midfielder, scored the winning goal in the first 21 minutes of play. This was Mound’s third game-winning goal this season.

Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach, said, “Wednesday’s win over Tabor was really good for us. 

“This game was a little different for us because we played on turf which was an advantage due to the rain and wet conditions. The majority of the time we play our games on natural grass, so this required an adjustment for us because the soccer ball plays much faster on the artificial surfaces in comparison to natural grass. Tabor has had the leading goal scorer in conference as of last week’s stats with 15 goals in 11 games. As a team we had to make a minor transition in our defensive line which consisted of Jamie Harkness, Lindsey Webb, Kerry Sonnenburg, and Morgan Constantine with Rachel Muth in goal.”

The men’s team lost 6-1 against Tabor College Oct. 14. Shane Neises, senior forward, scored the only goal for the Builders.

Neises said, “In the game against Tabor, we got off to a really good start and scored fairly quickly into the game. At the half, we were down 2-1 but the second half let up. We had a few encounters where we got very unlucky by not getting the ball in the back of the net. Injuries are affecting the team big time. Guys are playing hurt and we’re adjusting to that by doing our best.”

The Lady Builders won 1-0 over Sterling College Oct.12. The game began Oct. 7 but was postponed due to lightning with 27:54 remaining. Both teams tried to wait out the storm, but it continued to thunder and lightning. Constantine scored the only goal of the game off of a free kick from about 40 yards out with 33 minutes remaining in the game.

Constantine said, “We knew we had to play defensively for the 27:54 that remained. As a team that is what we did. I think the team played well and did a good job keeping them from scoring.”        

Wood said, “The game against Sterling was a unique situation that does not happen often in collegiate soccer. We played a solid first half and went into half time with a score of 0-0. The team came out in the second half and worked hard despite the rain and muddy conditions. We were able to come out Oct. 12, hold on to our 1-0 lead and win the game.”

The men’s team lost 3-0 to Sterling College Oct. 12.            

Donner said, “We were pretty much self destructed. We were not working together as a team and unfortunately that showed on the field against Sterling.” 

The men and women’s team combined Oct.17 for the annual Alumni homecoming game. The Builders lost 8-7 against the Alumni.

Donner said, “The Alumni game was a lot of fun. I think it helps you discover why you play the game. It’s a neat way for everyone to come together and just hang out.”        

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at lacie.holbert@sckans.edu.