Stefan Carter, freshman midfielder, weaves his way around a Bethany College opponent during the first half of Saturday’s game as a small line of supporters cheer in the background. The men lost 3-1 to the Swedes. (Paige Carswell/Collegian photographer)

With conference play full in gear, the men and women’s soccer teams are preparing for their next opponent, Sterling College. Currently in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference rankings, the men’s team is ranked 10th while the Warriors come to Winfield ranked sixth. As for the women’s team, Southwestern is ranked third whereas the Lady Warriors stand at ninth going into the game.

Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach, said, “Sterling College is a solid team. Looking at their pre-conference record you will find our teams to be very comparable. I think the winner of this game will be decided by whichever team comes ready to play for 90 minutes or possibly 110 minutes.”

The Lady Builders won 1-0 to Bethany College in overtime. Alejandra Rojas, junior midfielder, scored the winning goal for the Lady Builders with Nicole Mound, freshmen midfielder, making the assist. Mound crossed the ball from the right side of the field and Rojas was on the back post and chipped it over the goalies head for the goal. 

Mound said, “It was a really good game. The first and second half we won even though the score board didn’t show it. We outplayed Bethany no doubt and played harder going into over time.”

Wood said, “Bethany was a tough team to open against. It has always been a close game between Bethany and us. They come ready to play, but we were prepared.  As a team we came out and played harder which resulted in a win.”

The Builders lost 3-1 to Bethany College. Shane Neises, senior forward, scored the only goal for the Builders. Neises scored off of a back pass from one of Bethany’s defenders.

Neises said, “The team played well for most parts of the game. As a team we need to work on playing well the entire game. If we can play well the entire game then we will for sure give ourselves a very good shot in our upcoming games.”

Southwestern will host its second conference game against Sterling College. The Lady Builders will start play at 5 p.m. and the men’s team will follow at 7 p.m.

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at lacie.holbert@sckans.edu.