By Leslie Ash

Snow day! When the administration decides to cancel class due to weather, for students they are excited for a day off. But for some who work on campus, the cancelation of classes doesn’t mean a day off.

Some employees from security, plant operators, computer information center and food service still have to report to work.

Kathy Mignone, Sodexo, cooks in the cafeteria. The drive to work isn’t bad from where she lives but she does have to adjust her schedule.

“I live by the fairgrounds and I have to get up a little bit earlier to make sure I’m here by six in the morning, but it’s not bad,” said Mignone.

Essential personnel, as designated by the president or the supervisor, may be expected to report to work during inclement weather. Employees must verify their schedule with their supervisor.

This means that many employees must still show up for work even when classes are cancelled. For Rex Moser, laptop help desk, waiting for official word that work is cancelled, involves whether the offices are closed.

“If the offices are closed and the campus is pretty much shut down, then no we don’t have to come. However if the offices are open, then we still have to come in,” said Moser.

When classes are cancelled, students don’t let the snow slow them down on getting food.

“They hibernate in the mornings and afternoons it’s a little busier but not as much. They don’t have school but we still have to work,” said Terra Topper, Java Jinx.

Students who live on campus don’t have to drive. Employees have to adapt to the road conditions. For Mignone, the streets are for the most part not bad except for one.

“No it’s a little bit better, it just depends on the road. Here it’s ok but once you get to the other side of the hill, that one road that’s treacherous,” said Mignone.
Snow days may give students a day off, but for many employees it’s just another day at work.

Leslie Ash is a senior majoring in communications, you may email her at leslie.ash@sckans.edu