By Kylie Stamper

One thing that Southwestern strives to provide everyday across campus is the small town, family-like atmosphere. They use that trait to draw in prospective students, to make students feel welcome, and to create a memorable experience during the college years.

Greg Reffner, religion & philosophy freshman, transferred from Wichita State University this semester. Reffner said, “I feel like I’m having a good experience so far because at a small college, it’s all about what you put into it is what you get out of it. I’m getting more out of it here than I did at Wichita State because I’m putting more into it. I feel like it’s good for me.”

Jessica Arnoldy, biology sophomore, came from a small town and says a lot of the same feelings of community and friendships occur at Southwestern.  “I am from a small high school, so I’m used to the one-on-one with professors. Being able to come here and still have that one-on-one where they know me and see me on campus and they say hi, that’s really good for me because it kept me in my comfort zone while I was transitioning,” Arnoldy said.

Every college, no matter big or small, will have several similar pros or cons but one characteristic that sticks out at Southwestern is the strong sense of community across campus. Reffner said, “I like the strong sense of community here. I was plugged into a Greek community at Wichita State. I had the added benefit of that but you pull that aside and you’re walking across campus and there’s just people walking around campus, there’s no community, there’s nothing there.”

Among every other pro or con, one that sticks out the most is the friendships and relationships that develop at Southwestern. “I have made more meaningful relationships in my two and a half weeks here than I did all last semester,” said Reffner.

With opinions from several contributors including popular websites and students, these were the most common pros and cons of attending a small college.

Pros:

Strong sense of community

People, friends, and relationships

Smaller class size

Better food selection, shorter lines in the cafeteria

Easier to get involved in school activities

Cons:

Usually a higher price

Everybody knows everybody—word travels fast

Not as many classes or choices—classes not offered every semester

Less job opportunities on campus (or in a small town)

Not as many things to do (you might end up knitting on the weekends)

Kylie Stamper is a freshman majoring in communication. You can email her at kylie.stamper@sckans.edu.