"Cameron Siefkes and Samantha Gillis/Photo illustrationSummer seems just an arms-length away as the pressure is put on for finals week. Still, students are raring and restless for the summer warmth, and in some cases, quite literally.

Rest at night can unquestionably begin to decrease as studying for finals is demanded. The problem is, many students ignore their brain’s plead for sleep at night and instead insist on cramming for a final for the next day. And for some people, this might work once or twice. For the majority, however, this lack of sleep will cause many problems.

Getting enough sleep at night is essential. A lack of it can alter many things and even become a risk to safety. When one is sleep deprived, it takes a toll on both physical and emotional health, and will also have a negative effect on schooling and grades.

“I’m always tired,” said Jessica McIver, psychology freshman. “During the week I get about five or less hours of sleep. I can run off of five hours, but I think someone could function off of less,” she said.

Albert Ong, biology senior, listed the symptoms he feels when he hasn’t rested well enough. “I just feel sick, dizzy, sore, grumpy, irritable and I become a motor mouth. I just can’t stop talking,” said Ong.

While lack of sleep affects the brain, emotions run high when the ability to think straight is absent. Mood is not always maintained after a night of diminutive rest. When the only thing on someone’s mind is crawling back into bed, the desire to concentrate on anything else is minimal. And no professor or coach wants a lack of concentration in a classroom or during a game or at a performance.

Ty Hartfield, business administration and sports management junior, said she gets about five to six hours of sleep every night. “I think it’s enough for me because I take naps during the day, but it’s enough for me to get done what I have to during the day. During basketball season it’s not enough though,” she said.

Sleep deprivation can have drastic effects on the physical and emotional well-being and intellectual abilities of students. According to a study released from Berkeley, higher GPAs and more sleep during the night are directly linked. Sleeping also helps the brain contain new things and makes memory sharper. “I pay attention in class if I’m not tired. I’d probably be more productive during the day,” said McIver.

Case in point.

It would be ideal for students to learn and be able to recognize the negative effects of sleep deprivation since many are unaware of them. Sometimes it is schoolwork keeping the eyes of students barely open and sometimes students just don’t feel tired enough to sleep, and pull all-nighters to try and finish up assignments. “I’ve had to stay up pretty late. I have skipped class to finish other projects and sleep a little bit more,” said McIver.

For Ong, the story is a little different. “My all-nighters are at the start of the year, and by the end of the year I’m just too tired,” he said.

So as finals continue to loom in the near future, don’t forget to give your hard-working brain a break. So go take a nap.