By Alejandra Rojas

Close your eyes and imagine the feel of the sun’s rays on your face, the feeling of the sand underneath your toes and the taste of ice cold lemonade.

Now open your eyes. Unfortunately it’s not the middle of summer, but what seems like the middle of winter. Although you won’t be splashing at the pool anytime soon, freshly fallen snowflakes invade the 77 steps and suddenly the thought of sledding seems just as fun.

Snow days makes us look back at the good times. The elementary snow days when school would be canceled making it the perfect chance to drink hot chocolate and stay warm inside. Not even close, how about making it perfect time to buddle up and grab a trash can lid and hike around to find the nearest hill. Oh those were the days, not giving a hoot if we were soaking wet and cold, making snowmen, throwing snowballs around and sledding were the highlights of being 10.

The thought of sledding and feeling young always comes to mind when we see snow on the ground. It’s almost a part of life and an instinct to ask friends to find a hill and sled down it as many times possible when the snow hits the ground.

How lucky are we to have such an amazing hill. We don’t have to search very far, but can meet friends in middle. Although, we are considered “college students” from the ages of 18 and up, slopping down any hill on campus is considered dangerous. Sure I’ll be the first to admit it is dangerous, but I don’t think it’s reckless. I believe college students are just as responsible as anyone and are more than capable of sledding down the campus hill without getting hurt or hurting anyone.

But why is it so difficult for anyone to believe sledding is a choice and those who participate are responsible for his or her own acts? I understand that while in middle school throwing snow around became a nuisance for faculty members and in high school jokingly messing around in the snow while at school was forbidden because some students at that age are considered immature, but in college this shouldn’t be the case.

I understand that sometimes there is such a thing as overly friendly fun, which could lead to really serious accidents and while I can’t calculate the probabilities of an actual major accident occurring, I feel snow days are meant to be stress relievers. While it’s important to stay focused throughout college, little opportunities such as snow days are part of the college experience. Every experience, while at college, shouldn’t be left inexperienced, but lived to the fullest. It’s a snow day, a little bit of fun down a very important hill that we have trudge up and down every day. So why not have fun sledding down?

Alejandra Rojas is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.

Edited by Clinton Dick