By Inger Furholt

It’s not the professor, the class or the time it’s scheduled. It’s just me and sometimes also my lack of interest, stubbornness, procrastination and heavy sleeping habits.

On certain mornings, my stomach would turn when it was time to wake up. Not always because it was early, but because I dreaded going to certain classes. Several times, I didn’t even really see the point of going. But general education classes are just another part of everyday life that we students have to go through to get that paper in the end.

During my eight semesters in college there have been days when I have not wanted to leave my bed in the morning and days when I have unconsciously turned off my alarm in my sleep. Typically, the classes that aren’t a part of my major have happened to be the ones early in the morning. This makes it harder to wake up and go to class because I am not exactly a morning person and since I’m already out of my element in a class I don’t know much about.

The class after a missed class is usually one of the most dreaded hours I know of. I am in class and the professor is talking and the other students participating in the discussion. Then all of a sudden all eyes are on me, and I don’t have an answer because I got lost as soon as the discussion started.

This is almost as bad as when you’ve forgotten to do your reading assignment because the week has been so busy that a lot of things slipped your mind, and you know that the professor always goes around the room and asks everyone questions about what you were supposed to read.

There are so many things that factor into my fear of certain classes, and it has taken me quite a while to realize that the reason I dread many of them is because of my own stupidity and lack of time management.

I remember times in high school where I’d absolutely dread going to class or school at all for that matter. I’d try to fake some sort of sickness so I could stay at home, but always ended up having to go because my mom was a nurse and knew better. When I got to college I was my own boss, and I thought I could do what I wanted to do and go to class when I wanted to. I realized quickly that I was very wrong, and that faking being sick doesn’t affect anyone but you.

I have always been very stubborn about what I want to do and what I like and what I don’t like. Throughout my college career I have still had to do what needs to be done to get what I need for me, so that I can excel to who I want to be.

It’s hard to do things one dreads, but things aren’t always going to go your way. There will always be subjects you don’t like, and maybe people you don’t care for as much as others. Learning to face what you dread, and being responsible about it, can’t do anything but help you for now and in the future.
Inger Furholt is a senior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at inger.furholt@sckans.edu.