By Korie Hawkins

“Forget you.”

Some people may consider that rude. But if you see some­one riding around town with the person you love, I’m sure you will feel otherwise. There is a worse way to say it, and when you get hold of the uned­ited version of Cee-Lo Green’s song “Forget You,” I’m sure you would agree.

The song is about telling someone off. Unleashing a mouth full of swears followed by the f-bomb. The song can be considered distasteful, but look at it from the defenders perspec­tive. Your automatic reaction is to unload a combative amount of frustration onto the person of­fending you. What better way to vent than to straight shoot it.

Grammy award winning artist Cee-Lo Green, formally known as Gnarls Barkley, released his single, “Forget You,” off the album The Lady Killer on Au­gust 19, 2010, as a solo record­ing artist. The single reached No. 1 in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands. It was No. 2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.

Green has never had a prob­lem grabbing the attention of his audience. “Crazy,” which won a Grammy for Best Urban/Al­ternative Performance in 2007, showed Green as a singer-song­writer, rapper, and record pro­ducer. To the world he is known for R&B/hip hop, but his cate­gory falls under the great hits of Motown originals like Smokey Robinson.

The original song “F You,” grabs his listening audience once again, and takes them on an adventure of ventilation. The ed­ited version, however, leaves Green with one minor problem. Only the edited version can be broadcast, and it takes away from the original melody of the song.

But both versions have Green soaring on charts around the world. Glee, the musical come­dy-drama show that airs on Fox, focuses on a high school glee club, who competes on the show choir circuit, while dealing with relationships, sexuality, and social issues, features actress Gwyneth Paltrow as substitute teacher performing “Forget you.”

Now the song is available in three different versions on iTunes. It has reached audiences worldwide. “I pity the fool who falls in love with you,” cries Green in the song. Although many may take it offensively I would have to beg to differ.

The song will have you riding around town or walking the halls silently, humming to yourself “Forget you.”

Korie Hawkins is senior majoring in communications. You may e-mail her at korie.hawkins@sckans.edu.