By Jevyn Voss
Staff Reporter 

Anthony Sims, freshman running back, makes his way through his opponents. The Builders defeated the Treshers 27-13. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

The Builders defeated the Treshers Saturday, 27-13. Freshman running back Anthony Sims led the Moundbuilders with 22 rushing attempts and 147 yards with a touchdown. He won the Player of the Game award.  Sims’ running performance behind a strong and experienced offensive line, provided a bright spot in an otherwise struggling offense.

The Builders performed strong on the defensive side by holding Bethel College to 13 points and a total of 63 offensive plays for 280 yards.  The newly adjusted 3-4 defense forced three offensive fumbles and forced the Thresher’s offensive line to punt six times.

Sophomore defensive tackle Garrett Mangrum anchored the defensive line.  “They were really keying on Mangrum and I think that was really getting to Garrett,” said Coach Ken Crandall, on the fact that Mangrum committed some questionable penalties.

With the offense keying on Mangrum, that opened up some more defenders to shine in Saturday’s strong defensive play. Crandall pointed out that sophomore linebacker Paul Mata and freshman linebacker Taylor Lewis performed exceptionally well and said, “Lewis likes to get in there and hit and he showed that tonight.”

The Mounbuilder offense moved the ball efficiently in the first drive of the first quarter but not again until their first offensive drive of the third quarter. Crandall started the game with senior quarterback Jordan Barrett who led the offense in the first quarter but changed it up with junior quarterback Brady May in the second quarter.

At halftime, Barrett completed 4 of 11 passes for 31 yards and an interception while May had 4 of 12 passes completed for 54 yards. May did not see any action in the second half which led Barrett to finish the game with 10 of 23 passes completed for 92 yards with two interceptions.

What Barrett lacked in passing he made up in rushing with two touchdowns and 12 yards on four attempts. The rushing attack carried the offense to victory.  With a total of 233 yards rushing off of a two headed rushing attack it was difficult for the Threshers to stop the Builder’s running game.

When the team struggled the most, junior defensive back Lorenzo Fouts provided some hope with his return skills.  Fouts had some exciting returns finishing the day with 6 total special team returns for 49 yards with a 32 yard kickoff return being his highlight.

After the game, Crandall said, “No I’m not happy and I don’t think they’re very happy (the players).  We just needed to put things together.”  Crandall went on to say “We didn’t put a full game together. It wasn’t pretty and we need to work on some things but it was a win.”

Despite a disappointing game offensively, the Moundbuilders are coming away with their first home and KCAC conference win of the season.

The Moundbuliders will travel to McPherson College for their next performance on September 15 for a 7 p.m. contest.

Jevyn Voss is a junior majoring in communication.  You may email him at jevyn.voss@sckans.edu