A little fun, spirited competition makes for a rousing time. Piercing through the second half stretch of spring semester is Stau Bau, a week-long competition that pits each class against each other for the chance to win money for charity and their senior class gift.

Stau Bau, which means Builder Jam in German, began in 2006 and is sponsored by Student Foundation.

“The original STUFU team got together and decided they wanted to do something similar to a spring Homecoming,” said Brandon Hessing, coordinator of STUFU. “The first Stau Bau was mainly focused around Assessment Day. We had inflatables, a picnic and a big tug of war contest outside Wallingford.”

Since then, Stau Bau has taken place every year after spring break. Over the years, the weather has created an issue for many of the events, which are often planned to be outdoors.

“The challenge for STUFU is to create a fun spring time event that is flexible with the weather,” said Dan Falk, dean of students. “The spring is also hard because students are busy with track, spring football and their academic activities.”

Hessing says that last year was no exception on the weather.

“Last year we started out rough, but it ended really well,” said Hessing. “We usually have pretty good involvement. I think people are naturally competitive and it is always fun to have a little bit of bragging rights.”

Hessing also says that this year will be a year of firsts for the celebration.

“We have a bunch of new stuff and things we’ve never done before,” said Hessing.

Stau Bau kicks off today with Silent Library, a competition in which five participants per class must perform humorous tasks while trying to keep quiet in a library. It starts at 7 p.m. in Deet’s Library.

The schedule continues with Bongo Ball Mania starting at 6 p.m. Monday in Stewart Field House. Bongo Ball is a form of capture the flag with Nerf guns. The object is to capture the other team’s flag without getting hit by Nerf pellets.

The first 70 students to sign up on the Stau Bau shuttle bus will enjoy a trip to All-Star Sports in Wichita on Tuesday. The shuttle leaves at 6:45 p.m.

At 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Stau Bau features the Iron Man Competition where people from each class can sign up to compete.

“We will have different events such as flip cup, tug of war and a tricycle race,” said Ariel Prevett, STUFU vice president of traditions.

Stau Bau’s finale takes place at 7:30 on Friday at Baden Square. Musical performer Steve Means, 22, will perform and the winners of Stau Bau will be announced after the concert.

Students win points for their class by signing up and participating in events each day. STUFU members have sign-up sheets outside of the cafeteria during lunch and dinner. The $1,000 designated to Stau Bau will be divided up amongst first, second, third and fourth place respectively.

Hessing said there is a lot of planning that goes into Stau Bau, but most of the work comes from STUFU and volunteers.

“You try to be strategic and know where your boundaries are,” said Hessing. “You don’t want to overwhelm everybody to where they aren’t getting anything else done, but you want them to feel like they can participate and be a part of it.”

Prevett says that, while Stau Bau is for students to have fun, it doesn’t mean that school is out.

“Stau Bau isn’t a break, but it gives you something fun to do,” said Prevett. “It is a refresher.”

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.

Edited by Lea Shores