By Min Jiao
Staff Reporter

Members of Student Government Association went over SC Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony during their meeting Nov. 27.

The ceremony will take place at 6 p.m. Friday in the Deets Library. Members also discussed student concerns regarding the wifi, overload hour fees, Prep 100 and Prep 499.

It was announced that SGA will be taking 85 students to the Alley in Wichita Nov. 28 at 7 p.m. on a party bus for bowling, laser tag, go karts and pizza. Members passed an allocation in final action to approve the $150 funding for the Sigma Tau Delta holiday party.

Member also discussed the freshman seminar class issue. One section seems to have an overload of homework in comparison to the other section.

“Some of the seminar classes are not worth much as the teachers are not taking advantage of the time and purpose of the class. Some students are saying it is a joke to take the class. Therefore there needs to be a more balanced curriculum,” said Prokopis.

Jessie Riggs, vice-president of SGA, said some students don’t understand the curriculum and requirements for majors and degrees and why the class is necessary.

Costs associated with the class for some divisions sums to approximately $600 a test. Student can fail the class if the test is not taken.

Students are talking with their professors and the dean about the class and making the test optional. Along with tests are conventions that are also expensive.

“The Prep 499 class is intended to be worked through from freshman to senior so it is frustrating for upperclassmen that do not have the resources to accomplish the required tasks to complete the Prep 499 class,” said Riggs.

Jonathan Lyons, SGA treasurer, said “The essay that is required as part of applying to Southwestern College will no longer be necessary.”

Ben Lim did not seem to be very optimistic about having a purchasable mobile app for SC. He also talked about the wireless service during the meeting.

Min Jiao is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at Min Jiao@sckans.edu.