Justin Tinker, theatre senior, portrays Romeo’s sadness over Juliet, played by Chris Cole, class of 2012, as he plays dead during rehearsal of “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Abridged”. The play will be performed at 7:30 p.m. April 18 and 19 in Messenger Recital Hall at Darbeth Fine Arts Center. (Min Jao/ Collegian photographer)

By Min Jiao

A weekend theatre performance combines the responsibility of producing a show with the fun of a comedy.

“The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Abridged” will be performed at 7:30 p.m. April 18 and 19 in Messenger Recital Hall at Darbeth Fine Arts Center.

Justin Tinker, theatre senior, is producing the show for this his senior project. He said, “It’s because it is a show that I’ve always wanted to do since I was in high school and got introduced to theatre. It features the comedic elements of the actors. It is a tour of the entire collection of Shakespeare’s works in 90 minutes.”Roger Moon, associate professor of theatre and speech, explained the requirements of the senior project. “They actually set learning goals for what they want to learn, what they want to accomplish and what will help them move out into success after graduation.

“He decided this is what he needed to do and he went through the process and got that approved. So as his senior project he has a lot more decisions to make and a lot more responsibility,” said Moon.

Tinker chose the other two actors. Aron Pfingsten, English senior and Chris Cole, class of 2012, will perform in this show.

Moon said, “They were chosen because Justin works with them. He knows they are good actors. The three of them work well together as actors, so he hand-picked them.”

Pfingsten said, “I wanted to be in the show because Justin is my friend and I’ve always wanted to be in it. When he mentioned it I was gung-ho immediately.

“My role is actually Aaron Pinkston. It’s a characterized version of me, to where I am basically the scholar that knows about William Shakespeare,” said Pfingsten. “I’m directing the other two about certain standards about how to uphold Shakespearean theatre.”

Justin Tinker and Chris Cole act out the scene where Romeo kills Tybalt during a rehearsal of “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Abridged”. The play will be performed at 7:30 p.m. April 18 and 19 in Messenger Recital Hall at Darbeth Fine Arts Center. (Min Jao/ Collegian photographer)

Moon said Tinker has a wonderful sense of comedy. “I think this show takes a lot of improv work, I think it will be a really funny show and a really good experience for the audience.”

Tinker said, “My hope is that it goes well and that we have a large audience so that the show sells well. The production is usually done as a traveling troupe of people who wrote the show.”

“Hopefully we can bring our own personaJustin Tinker, theatre senior, portrays Romeo’s sadness over Juliet, played by Chris Cole, class of 2012, as he plays dead during rehearsal of “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Abridged”. The play will be performed at 7:30 p.m. April 18 and 19 in Messenger Recital Hall at Darbeth Fine Arts Center. (Min Jao/ Collegian photographer)lities to the show and it will still go off in the way it was originally written, with us as its actors,” said Tinker.

After graduation Tinker he will be heading to Colorado to pursue a degree in sound engineering and new media.

Moon said “I think audiences will enjoy it and that it will help him succeed in his life after college.”

Min Jiao is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her min.jiao@sckans.edu.