By Morgan Givney

Moving from high school to college is a big change, and challenging for most freshmen. One of the first people that freshmen come into contact with on campus is the Residence Assistant on move-in day. At that time, newcomers are not really sure of what to do besides live down the hall from their RAs. However, their duties stretch far beyond residing in the hallway or floor.

In Cole Hall, there is one RA in each hallway, making two on each floor. Most people think of their RA as simply an enforcer of rules, making sure people are out by curfew and keeping the noise down. However, RA’s have a wide variety of responsibilities in the job description. “We are here to help the freshman transition from high school to college, and build a community,” said Taylor Kinammon, business administration senior.

“We are expected to be available to residents when they need us, give up one of our weeknights to stay in the building, and also be around a weekend a month,” said Kindell Copeland, athletic training senior.

A perk both Kinnamon and Copeland have found in the job is getting a room to themselves in Cole. “I like that I have a room to myself and I like being able to get to know all the freshmen,” said Copeland.

This is Kinammon’s first year as an RA. She chose to become an RA, because she lived with Copeland last year when she was an RA, and because Cole is a nice dorm. “I like to meet all the girls and plan events,” said Kinammon.

Every responsibility has a side that is not so enjoyable. “I dislike doing the discipline side of it,” said Kinnamon.

“I don’t like it sometimes when I’m on duty on the weekend, when I could go home,” said Copeland.

Tavinia Tucker, biology freshman, has found unique ways to utilize her RA’s, Copeland and Kinammon. “Taylor gives me entertainment when I am bored, while Kindell gives me wisdom and advice,” said Tucker.

Copeland and Kinammon model to freshman how to be a successful in college. “I have learned how to be a responsible student from them,” said Tucker.

Being a RA is a great way to meet incoming freshmen and help them shift gears from high school to college. Having the added bonus of a private room in Cole is perk of the job.

Both women encourage students to think about becoming a RA next year. “The responsibility is time consuming, but it’s worth it,” said Copeland.

Morgan Givney is a freshman with an undecided major. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.