Above: Joseph Perez, sophomore quarterback, starts in his first game under center replacing Brad Cagle. The Moundbuilder Football team defeated the Knights of Sterling College by a score of 47-15 on Senior Day at Jantz Stadium. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer

Kenyana Heard, senior offensive lineman, hugs his family in senior day introductions prior to kickoff. Kenyana is a part of the core of the offensive line. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Zach Clouse, senior offensive lineman, poses with family during Senior Day pre-game festivities. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Jean-Francois Kouame, senior linebacker, finishes a 66-yard run on a 4th down & 6 conversion to put the Builders ahead 6-0. Kouame finshed the day with 67 yards on the ground with one touchdown. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Darren Hicks, senior defensive lineman, tackles a Sterling player for a loss on the play. Hicks had six total tackles on the day four of them being solo tackles. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Keyshawn Wyatt, senior running back, celebrates following a 10-yard run to elevate the Builders to a 14-0 lead over Sterling. Wyatt rushed for 250 yards on 22 carries for the day. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Grant Torgerson, senior linebacker, and Drew Smith, junior linebacker, combine to tackle a Sterling player. Torgerson finished with five solo tackles and seven assisted. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Andre Jones, senior wide receiver, goes up for a jump-ball touchdown over a Sterling corner to finish a 6-yard touchdown pass and put the Builders ahead 27-9. Jones had 22 yards for the day with two touchdowns. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Keyshawn Wyatt, senior running back, shrugs Sterling cornerback to finish 31-yard touchdown run for his second on the day. Wyatt ran for three touchdowns on the day. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Taveon Williamson, freshman defensive back, breaks up Sterling pass attempt. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Jaquils Coleman, junior running back, drags Sterling defensive players for more yardage. Coleman gained 156 yards on 13 attempts finishing with a touchdown. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)

By Daegiona Wilson
Staff Reporter

A sunny sky, and stadium full of fans benefits the Moundbuilders Saturday afternoon, as they secure a 47-15 win over Sterling College.

After coming off of a hard fought 29-27 loss last weekend against No. 23 ranked Avila Eagles, The Builders switched gears and capitalizing on a much needed win.

The Builders reached the end zone early, with a fake punt kick, leaving the middle open. Jean-Francois Watson, senior linebacker, ran for 67 yards. This gave the Builders a 7-0 lead.

Watson said, “I was nervous. The goal was to get at least the first down, to get the offense back on the field, but everyone on the punt team did their job, allowing me to find the opening and score.”

Brad Griffin, head coach, said, “We’ve been working on it for a while, but we checked out of it. Today we called it, and we were sticking with it no matter what.”

“We figured if he could get through he might house it, and he did. It was fun to watch.”

With the time winding down in the first quarter, Keyshawn Wyatt, senior running-back, added to the scores column with a consistent drive down the field. The Builders lead 14-0 going into the second quarter.

Wyatt lead in rushing, as he had 252 yards on 22 carries.

Jaqualis Coleman, junior running-back, controlled the ball well also, going for 157 yards on 13 carries.

The Warriors continued to struggle early, having not found any offensive rhythm. With ten minutes into the second, they were able to clinch a touchdown led by, Daniel Doriscar, sophomore running-back.

Not to long after, Wyatt ran it in from 31-yards out. The Builders increased their lead, 20-7 before winding out the half.

The start of the second half was beneficial for The Warriors. They were able to pin The Moundbuilders down in their end zone for a safety.

Later in the quarter momentum shifted for The Builders with an interception by, Trevon Crockett, senior defensive-back.

From there, the Builders offensive cruised with a catch in the end zone by Andre Jones, junior wide-receiver, and a third touchdown by Wyatt, to give a 33-9 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

The Builders defensive also did their job holding The Warriors just to 15 points to finish out the game.

Watson said, “We understand that Sterling was a good team regardless of what their record says. As a defense we had to set the tone and keep after Sterling, allowing our offensive to capitalize on points.”

“We just wore them out. Those guys were making plays” said Griffin.

“We didn’t get players the ball as most as we’d like to, and we are going to have to work on that if we are going to be successful this next week.”

This wins brings the Builders to 5-2, with a travel to Wichita next Saturday. They will face rival team Friends Falcons, who are 2-5 in conference play.

Watson said, “Friends is our rival, but we can’t over hype and lost focus during the week. If we control our attitude and effort this entire week then we’ll handle our business.”

The game will tip-off at 1 p.m. inside Adair-Austin Stadium.

To watch the game visit, https://portal.stretchinternet.com/sckans/

To listen via KSOK, tune into, https://radio.securenetsystems.net/cwa/KSOK