By Mallory Graves

The Builder Softball team split the doubleheader with the Southwestern Christian Eagles on April 2. They won the first game, 1-0 and lost the second game, 6-4.

It was day one for the senior celebration as they recognized the four-year seniors. Those included Kayleen Gonzalez, left fielder, Sierra Meyer, catcher, Cassidy Schubert, outfielder, and Alexis Gouyton, infielder.

On April 3, they will have their second senior day and acknowledge all of the fifth-years that received an extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19. Those will be Cady Norton, infielder, MacKenzie Lyons, pitcher, Sydni Fulks, outfielder, and Hannah Foltz, pitcher.

Amber Good, head softball coach said, “In the first game we played really well defensively. We did not give up any runs. Kenzie Lyons and Hannah Foltz split the first game on the mound and did a fantastic job. In the field, we did a really great job of taking care of the ball and making sure it needed to get where it’s supposed to be.”

There are some things that Good would like to work on for the next game.

“Offensively, we only scored one run,” Good said. “We have to make those adjustments at the plate to produce more runs.”

Kayleen Gonzalez, business senior said, “Broadway Complex was very active today. We had a great turnout for senior day and it was truly fun. Overall, we played some great softball. We hit the ball well and played awesome defense. I’m very proud of how we played and Southwestern Christian played well, too.”

Good felt like there were some players who stood out during the games.

“Kayleen Gonzalez had a really good presence at the plate,” Good said. “She hit the ball really well and definitely did some role-player situations that were very beneficial to the team. Sydni Fulks as always in the outfield is so solid. She was able to turn a double play after catching a fly ball and throwing someone out. Those two did a really great job today.”

Cassidy Schubert, psychology senior said, “It was a weird and bittersweet feeling knowing that all of these memories are about to come to an end. It is good to know that all of the hard work that I have put in since I was little has paid off.”

The Builder Softball team will play Ottawa in another doubleheader at 1 and 3 p.m. at the Broadway Sports Complex on April 3.