After not being voted in as commissioner his senior year at Winfield High School, Taggart Wall, philosophy and religious studies and history senior, decided that he was not giving up on his dream.

“I don’t like to lose and I am a competitive person,” said Wall. “I believe that you have to create the future, or it will not come to you.”

Wall’s journey began in 2007, his senior year, when he decided to run for city commission. “I was third in a five man race. Top two won,” said Wall.

Even though politics has always been an interest in Wall’s life, it wasn’t always his first choice. “I wanted to be a preacher,” he said.

It wasn’t until high school that Wall’s interest in politics started to grow. During high school, Wall took classes such as current events and AP government.

“Taggart began to be motivated to go into politics when he showed interest in running for class officer in high school,” said Patty, Wall’s mother.

After high school, Wall continued his journey at Southwestern. He joined a variety of organizations such as young democrats, Student Government Association, chapel, choir, cross country, and tennis.

Wall said that her son was a driven child. “Whatever he was doing, if it was his school work, friendships, relationships, or sports he was always driven,” she said.

Besides being a part of many organizations on campus, Wall has done four internships during his time at SC, including Cowley First Economic Development and Grace United Methodist Church.

In 2009, during Wall’s sophomore year he ran for city commission one more time. This time, Wall won.

“When he started running for politics in high school, I remember seeing him in the paper,” said Stephen Woodburn, assistant professor of history. “Then when he came to SC, I started talking to him and saw he had a genuine passion for politics.”

Once Wall got a city commission spot, he still had one more goal in mind. On April 18, with only weeks left before Wall graduates, he was announced as city mayor.

In order to become mayor, the person running has to run for a city council spot. Then within the city council they chose who the mayor will be.

Woodburn said that he believes they voted for Taggart because he isn’t flashy and doesn’t have a driven agenda. “He is genuine and very approachable,” he said. “Taggart shows up and knows what to do and puts the community’s concerns first.”

Wall said even though he has been appointed mayor, he still plans on going to graduate school for public administration and from there, wherever the Lord leads him.

“Taggart will do what he feels is right for him,” said Wall. “If that means going beyond Winfield, then I support him. Whatever he needs from me I will do my best to be there for him.”

Erica Dunigan is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu.

Edited by Lea Shores