By Taylor Posey

The Southwestern College men’s and women’s golf team traveled to compete in their 2012-13 season opener at the Ottawa Braves Invitational in Lawrence at the Eagle Bend Golf Course Monday and Tuesday. The men finished first out of 10 teams while the women finished second out of five teams.

As a team, the Builders finished with a two day total of 865 strokes with a 452 on day one and a 413 on day two. The Builders finished 17 shots better than Bethany College, who came in second place.

Opening up his last year as a Moundbuilder, Chad Richardson, business administration senior, shot a 129 overall with a 72 on day one and a 67 on day two to win the tournament individually. Last season at the Ottawa Brave Invitational, Richardson shot a 76 on day one and a 78 on day two. When asked how he improved his game to make a 15 shot difference, Richardson said, “I struggled with my putting. I got a new putter, practiced and now I putt a lot better than last year.”

Bobby Weidner, business administration senior, tied for second place shooting a 143. Shane Gilbert, business administration sophomore, tied for fourth overall shooting a 144. Rounding out the top 10, Justin Churchill, business administration freshman, finished seventh shooting a 150. Finishing up the tournament for the Builders, Seth Bryan, business management freshman, tied for 22nd place shooting a 159 and in 24th place, Luke Arneson, accounting junior, shot a 160.

Head golf coach Brad Sexon said, “The competition was the same as last year. We had our best scoring tournament this week.”

The Lady Builders finished with a two day total of 1,116 with a 559 on day one and a 557 on day two. The Lady Builders came in second, behind NCAA Division II Northwest Missouri State University who finished the two days with a 627 (316, 311).

Finishing fifth overall, Hannah Mason, biology sophomore, was the only Lady Builder who scored in the top 10 with a score of 160 overall and with 78 on day one and 82 on day two.

Inside the top 20 were Jackie McCauley, business management junior, finishing in 14th place with a score of 171 and Alyssa Richardson, communication sophomore, finishing in 15th place with a score of 173.

Rounding out the Lady Builders were Hannah Watkins, communication junior, placing 21st with a score of 187, Brenna Truhe, accounting freshman, placing 26th with a score of 217, and MaryBeth Bryant, education freshman, placing 27th with a score of 227.

Up next for the Builders is the Wildcats Fall Invitational in Mayetta hosted at the Fire Keeper Golf Course Tuesday, Sept. 25. The Lady Builders will tee off again Monday, Sept. 24 at the NAIA International in Lincoln, Neb. hosted at the Wilderness Ridge Golf Course.

Taylor Posey is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at taylor.posey@sckans.edu.