By Paige Carswell

In an internet full of constantly changing user interfaces, a change in the system of registration was expected—but it will certainly take some getting used to for students and faculty around campus.

In an effort to make the lives of students and faculty advisors alike simpler, IQ Web was replaced by PowerCAMPUS Self Service Nov. 23. It was predominately put in place because it was time for an upgrade in the system, but it is also supposed to make the process of registering for classes easier.

However, changing the system while the semester is still alive has left some students in the dark.

“I don’t like it at all,” said Rosalina Valdovinos, elementary education junior. “I’m not familiar with it yet. It’s prettier and fancier, so maybe when I figure it out, I’ll like it.”

Alyssa Carter, religion & philosophy senior, said, “They should have changed it either at the end of the year or the beginning of the semester.”

Some students, like Kariann Jordan, psychology freshman, said they had a few things to get used to with Self Service, but didn’t find the transition hard at all.

“I haven’t really done a whole lot, but didn’t find it difficult,” said Jordan. “I’ve done the balances and the classes and switching accounts. It took a little longer to figure out, because IQ.web had it listed and it was easier to find. This one I had to hunt for it.”

A training session led by Stacy Townsley, Registrar, was held for advisors Dec. 2. The session covered the basic functions of class lists, permission requests, teaching schedules, grading, managing assistants and advising.

Townsley pointed the interesting features on Self Service. Advisors can now add students to permission lists in advance, tossing out the waiting period students have to go through to be approved for a course. They will also have access to all students—not only the ones assigned to them.

Michelle Boucher, associate professor of English, said she thought IQ.web was easier to use. “This one takes a lot more clicks to do the same thing,” she said. “I used to be able to look up information of students I wasn’t advising much, much easier.”

There was no training session for students, but some said that a session would have helped them.

“I don’t know if anyone would have shown up to a voluntary training session, but I think if they had something when we were all together, like during Bingo Night, that would help,” said Valdovinos.

When students choose courses, they will now be able to build their schedule around their academic plans. However, some found it difficult to get that far.

Brady McFall, physical education sophomore, had to seek the help of several friends and teachers in order to set up his account and classes.

“I hate it,” said McFall. “It’s hard to set up, and setting up classes was really hard too.”

For those students who haven’t used Self Service or have found it difficult to set up, stay calm.

“For students, once they get used to it, it’s going to be about the same,” said Boucher.

Paige Carswell is a junior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at paige.carswell@sckans.edu.