Security camera are about to become part of Wallingford Hall’s décor. The men’s freshmen dorm has experienced theft, broken furniture and one too many fire alarm pranks, leading to the installation of security cameras.

“Last semester we had over $2,000 worth of damage and stolen property,” said Sarah Hallinan, assistant dean of students & director of residence life. “It has been a big issue in the past, but has become a bigger issue than before.”

The entire hall is fined when something in the hall has been damaged or vandalized by an unknown resident. Hallinan said with the addition of cameras one person is easier to point out and the rest of the hall does not have to be charged.

“I don’t know that cameras will prevent things from happening, but I would hope so,” said Hallinan. “Students don’t want to pay a fine for something that someone else did. For the most part students will appreciate it.  If you’re stuff is stolen, you will be thankful there were security cameras.

Wallingford’s second floor resident assistant, Albert Ong, biology senior said he thinks the cameras are a good idea. “They will assist Residence Life in keeping the students safe and protecting our wholesome environment to create a safe and healthy environment.”

Ong said he believes the security cameras will keep unwelcome guests out of the building and will also monitor mischief such as pulling the fire alarm at 2:30 in the morning, which has already occurred once this semester.  “The RAs and Residence Life cannot be monitoring the surroundings all the time, so using security cameras will assist us greatly to elevate the workload in protecting the campus.”

He also said he hopes the security cameras will eliminate any cases of theft. “The only people who will be offended are the guilty who have something to hide,” said Ong. “The innocent have nothing to fear.”

Derreck Carter, biology and biochemistry freshman, said security cameras are a great idea. “I don’t want my stuff stolen and if it is, then the culprit can be caught,” he said. “I think the best thing will be catching people who pull the freaking fire alarms.”

While some students find the cameras as a safety precaution, others may find them as an invasion of privacy. No cameras will be installed in student rooms. “We’re only doing hallways and common areas,” said Dave Helsel, director of campus safety and security. “You don’t want to run down the halls naked.”