Jordan Garcia, freshman center mid, attempts to head the ball in game on Wednesday versus McPherson. (Rodney Marner/Collegian photographer)

By Rodney Marner

The men’s soccer team struck early, but it was not enough. Nine minutes into the game, Karlo Sanchez, sophomore forward, assisted on a goal to Austin Sacket, junior midfielder. The team would give up four goals in the second half in a 4-1 losing effort to the McPherson Bulldogs. They fall to 1-7 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and 4-13 overall.

On a key play in the first half, the Builders held on a penalty kick to lead at halftime 1-0. “The team had a lot of effort and intensity throughout the game,” said Jordan Garcia, freshman defensive mid.

“I feel like the team played well in the first half. We just couldn’t put to halves together,” said Ruben Sanchez, head men’s soccer coach. The Builders did not give up a goal in the first half, but couldn’t uphold that good defense in the second half.

For much of the second half the ball stayed on the McPherson offensive side, making the Builder’s defense have to do a lot of work in the second half. “As a team we need to work on playing a full 90 minutes,” said Si Henderson, freshman left back.

They will end the season by playing the University of Saint Mary Spires at 5 p.m. Oct. 29 at home. The Spires record is 1-7 in KCAC play and 2-15 overall.

Rodney Marner is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at rodney.marner@sckans.edu.