Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, is tightly guarded by two York College players as she tries to make her way deep into the opponent’s half. The Lady Builders won 73-52 Monday at Stewart Field House. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

By Josh Hall

The Southwestern women’s basketball team’s seventh game began as a nail-biter, yet ended in success against York College Thursday night, breaking their recent minor losing streak.

While the game ended 73-52 in favor of the Lady Builders, the first half was a challenge for the women with only 25 points to the York’s 24, instituting a bit of doubt for the win.“We played pretty well for the first half except for the fact that we couldn’t make shots,” said David Denly, head women’s basketball coach, “We were doing the things we needed to do. They just weren’t going in.”

The tables completely turned during the second half with the Lady Builders scoring 48 points and their defense keeping the York Women at only 28 points. Brett Bates, senior guard, led the team in scoring with 24 points followed by Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, and Jordan Hobbs, freshman guard, both scoring 12 points each. Bryan played an outstanding defensive game coming in with 11 rebounds and 2 steals. Following Bryan in rebounds was Kaitlin Tennyson, sophomore guard, with nine.

Anjelina Robinson, senior point guard, tying for the most steals alongside Bryan said, “We made more shots in the second half, stretched it out a little bit and it gave more energy and we ran the floor. That gave us the momentum and energy that we needed.”

Kristy Herman, senior point guard and leader in assists, said “I think as a team we played better because coming off of two losses you can either go one way or the other. We knew what we had to do. We had a clear mind.”

In addition to performance, Denly said, “We’ve got to do a better job of getting started and believing in ourselves. You know teams will go through these slumps here and there. We’ve had ours and it’s the one we’ve had. We’re not going worry about it. We’re going keep going on and we’re going to be fine for the rest of the year.”

After the game with York, the Lady Builders’ current record is 3-4 and their next game will be on the road at Washburn University.

Joshua Hall is a junior majoring in communications. You may e-mail him at josh.hall@sckans.edu.