Michael Morales, senior forward, makes basket and draws the foul in the first half of the loss against St. Mary. Morales had 5 points on the night. (Kyle Killgore/Collegian photographer)

By Bailey VenJohn

The men’s basketball team suffered a rough loss Wednesday night against St. Mary. Leading for most of the game the builders just couldn’t pull out the win. St. Mary rallied in the last minutes of the game for a 70-61 victory.

St. Mary came into this game unbeaten and ranked number 1 in the KCAC. Southwestern was 5-3 and ranked 5th in the KCAC.

A positive on the night was “we stayed together as a team well” said Isaiah Thaw, senior guard.

Cameron Clark, freshman forward, and Vince Folston, junior center, said the team did a good job of shutting down the main players, having solid defense, and moving the ball well.

Folston had a huge dunk halfway through the second half off an assist from Larry Vasquez to get the crowd all fired up. Folston simply said the dunk felt “ok.” Most of the crowd seemed to think a lot more highly of the dunk than just ok though.

William Tisdale and Cameron Clark led the team in points with 15 apiece. Tisdale also had the team high of rebounds with 8.

Next game on the schedule for the builders is at Friends on Saturday at 7. The last time Southwestern and Friends met up it ended in an overtime win for the falcons, 57-54.

Thaw said, “We need to keep working on playing solid defense to get the W Saturday.”

Come support the builders Saturday as all 4 basketball teams are represented. The JV women are scheduled to start at 1 p.m. followed by JV men, varsity women, and ending with varsity men.

Bailey VenJohn is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.