By Kylie Stamper

Thousands of people attend the Kansas State Fair every year and those that go know that there is plenty of opportunity for pictures worth a thousand words.

Chris Vences, business freshman, participated in the Kansas State Fair photography internship on Sept. 15. He had the opportunity to spend a couple of hours at the fair taking pictures of various events.

Chris said he found out about the internship through Blackboard and it was offered for extra credit in his Intro to Photography class.

Before this experience, Vences had only taken pictures of events like football and soccer games. Vences took the earliest shift, 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

There were about five people taking pictures each day but their shifts were spread out so there was never any interaction. Vences said he took 134 pictures during his time at the fair.

Out of all the events and different things happening during the day, his favorite subject to photograph was the magic show. “I was really interested in the magic show so I spent most of my time there,” said Vences.

Stacy Sparks, associate professor of journalism and program coordinator for convergent journalism, said Janet Hallford, a retired professor from Hutchinson Community College, has a well-run program at the fair and she always encourages her students to participate in the internship.

Vences said, “I will be back next year for sure.”

Kylie Stamper is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at kylie.stamper@sckans.edu.