By Daniel Van Sickle
staff reporter

The second annual 24 hour play festival will be held at Southwestern College in Richardson Performing Arts Center at 8 p.m. on Sept. 13.

Students, teachers, and professional actors will be corroborating together to create the plays.  The event goes nonstop from 10p.m. on Friday until 10:00 p.m. in Richardson with the plays, finished, performed, and everything picked up. The end of the play festival is followed by a party for those who are still awake.

This crazy event is actually held at different times nationally and is the brainchild of Christina Fallon, a Manhattan play right, who intended it to originally be  a one-time event in Manhattan’s Lower East Side in 1995.

After it quickly gained popularity, the 24 hour Plays trademarked their name and spread the rules and schedule guidelines nationwide.

Roger Moon, the associate professor of speech and theatre, first came across one of the events at Independence Community College as a result of a colleague and quickly became hooked.

For ten years, he and a few of his students made the trip up to Independence to participate in their 24 hour play festival. Gradually Independence stopped admitting other school participants.

Moon decided last year, not wanting the opportunity to be gone for his students that Southwestern should host its own play festival.

Moon said that last year the 24 hour play festival went great. He went on to say that the festival exhibited a piece that was honored as one of the most outstanding pieces of regional theatre by the Kennedy Center American Theatre Festival.

The play “A Flock Over Ohio” was written and directed by Jacob Pfingsten, master student of art and teaching.  It is about an old woman who escapes from a retirement home unbeknownst to her children and feeds pigeons in the park while she contemplates life, while having taken pills to kill herself.

This year a professional playwright will be helping to create one of the plays. His name is Adam Sharp. He is an up in coming playwright from Minneapolis.

Don Cambell, who has worked in New York in television and movie projects, will be helping out. Other playwrights and directors for this year are students here at SC.

One of the new directors, Megan Morrow, an english major, said that though she has not directed before, she is excited for the festival and feels that it will be a safe and constructive environment despite the pressure to produce a play.

Helping out the playwrights and directors will be a cast of high school and college students from around the local area.

Tickets can be purchased for the plays from the front counter of Richard Auditorium. It is free to SC students with ID. This is a good event for families and is kid appropriate.  For community members the tickets are $5 for adults and $2 dollars for kids.

Daniel Van Sickle is a senior majoring in Business Administration. You may email him at Daniel.VanSickle@sckans.edu.