Needing a break is often desired in this world. We become so busy that we take little time to work on the things that are important and lose sight of what matters most.

Going on sabbatical is a choice that professors, teachers, and even students make. “The timing was perfect and fell into this particular block of time that worked out great for my schedule to allow me to do it,” said Tracy Frederick, professor of communication; program coordinator for communication studies, professional communication, and communication research advisor. Frederick is on sabbatical for the fall 2011 semester and is working on articles and book proposals in the time that she is not helping advise her students.

“Sabbaticals are a special time for faculty members to step back from their regular teaching duties and pursue things such as educational travel, new directions in research, the writing of a book or perhaps a series of scholarly papers. A sabbatical can last one or two semesters, depending on the objective,” said Tom Jacobs, division of computer science and communication; program coordinator for radio/television and new media.

After applying for a sabbatical, there are other conditions that the professor must satisfy before they can be considered. George Gangwere, professor of physics, said, “After applying, you have to figure out who is going to teach your classes, and how long you will be gone.”

Frederick said, “No one is teaching my classes this semester, although I changed the curriculum in the spring, and because of that I had an open window. My courses are not offered by anyone else, but the ones that they might need from me I will be teaching next fall.”

Caitlin Dyck is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at caitlin.dyck@sckans.edu.

John Dupuy, chairman of business division and professor of accounting and finance, is also on sabbatical. For the complete story go to http://scupdate.org/?p=8859.