By Alyssa Richardson
Features editor

Frank Adelman, psychology senior, joins an elite group of Southwestern College cross country runners with his two time All-American honors.

After placing 13th out of 309 runners in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics national championship on Nov. 17, Adelman earned All-American status for the second time in his cross country career.

With Adelman’s time of 24:52 in the men’s 8,000 meter race, he improved from his 2011 national’s race time by one second. What was most encouraging to the senior runner was his ability to place 17 spots better than his previous showing at nationals. “It was nice knowing I could improve after last year and come away with a better finish. Overall it was a great experience,” said Adelman.

According to Coach Jim Helmer, head cross country coach, “Frank had one of the best seasons in the history of our program this year and overall had one of the best four year careers in the program’s history.”

With his recent status of becoming a two time All-American, Adelman joins notable alumni who all competed under Coach Helmer’s renowned program. Steve DeLano was a three time All-American and two time national champion, and Nathanael Wheatley was a three time All-American. Frank joins these two alumni runners as the only other individual to be an All-American more than once.

This year’s national race was Adelman’s best finish in a competitive meet throughout his cross country career, while his time of 24:52 ranked as his fourth fastest career time.

For Helmer, Adelman holds a special place in his eyes. “Frank is one of the most focused and determined runners I have ever coached. I am very proud of him for all he has accomplished, and am thankful to have had the privilege of coaching him,” Helmer said.

As a senior, Adelman is bittersweet about the conclusion of his cross country career as a Moundbuilder. “I’m going to miss the team aspect of it. Being surrounded by guys that have similar aspirations as you and getting to push everyone during practice,” Adelman said.

Helmer recognizes with Adelman’s departure the team dynamic will change. “We will miss Frank’s leadership. He is more of a leader by example than a vocal leader, but he sets a great example for our runners,” said Helmer.

One piece of advice Adelman wanted to give to the younger runners on the team was simply, “To stick with it. There are going to be some downs along the way like injuries and nagging aches and pains but if you keep working at it, it will all pay off.” He stressed the importance of the summer training that Coach Helmer requires of his runners. “Focusing on the summer training is a big part of coming into the season, not just for cross but track too. If you have a good summer, that sets up a good base for your entire year” said Adelman.

As for the future plans of this two time All-American senior, he is unsure as to whether or not he will continue his competitive running career. “As soon as I start graduate school I’ll have to see what the workload entails before I make any decisions. As of right now I’m not planning on running, but we’ll have to wait and see,” Adelman said.

Adelman will pursue counseling psychology in graduate school, he is currently unsure where he will attend.

Alyssa Richardson is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alyssa.richardson@sckans.edu.