By Inger Furholt

Relationships are often complicated as it is but the characters in “No Strings Attached” take complicated to a completely new level in this romantic comedy.

Natalie Portman plays Emma, a young doctor afraid of commitment and Ashton Kutcher plays Adam, an aspiring TV writer who is living in the shadow of his father, Alvin, played by Kevin Kline, an old sitcom star.

We meet Emma and Adam when they are teenagers at summer camp. As they get older they keep running into each other through college and into adulthood.

The gender roles are definitely changed in this movie as Emma and Adam decide to become friends with benefits. This kind of relationship is supposed to be a solely sexual relationship, where people leave out their emotions, which in the movie becomes hard for Adam. Typically, we assume the woman in these kinds of relationships will be the one to become attached and fall in love but in this story it is Emma who has a hard time listening to what her heart tells her while Adam falls completely.

Emma and Adam have two very different personalities in this movie, so imagining them as a couple could be hard. It is impossible to wipe the smile off of Adam’s face, as this tall funny guy has a positive outlook on life while Emma is more emotionally complicated, lives for her work, and thinks the glass is half empty rather than half full. However, Emma and Adam pursue their relationship as friends with benefits with certain rules. The couple has a pretty good chemistry throughout the movie and there are certain scenes that make one go “gah” as this love story goes up, down and around like a roller coaster.

College students can relate to the film, as it seems to go along with the rules in the kind of relationships some young people try to pursue these days. There are certain scenes that can make you feel kind of awkward, so it isn’t a bad idea to put some thought into who you take to this movie.

Romantic comedies have a bad reputation, but  “No Strings Attached” isn’t a bad choice if you’re in need of laughing, a smile, or just something to do, but then again there are always other ways to get all of those things to happen.

Inger Furholt is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at inger.furholt@sckans.edu.

Edited by Lea Shores