Jasmine Manuel, senior guard/forward, dribbles past her Rogers opponent.

The women’s basketball team lost to Rogers State on Wednesday by a whopping 21 points. This loss comes after their first crushing defeat on Monday to Washburn University, the No. 9 ranked team in NCAA Division II. However, the team’s official record remains 4-1.

Brett Bates, junior guard, led the team in points with a game total of 14. Jasmine Jackson, junior guard, and Sara Maxwell, senior forward, contributed to the team’s scoring with 8 points each.

Unfortunately the Builders were unable to stop Candice Stewart and teammate Angie Criner. Stewart, a forward for Rogers, scored 17 points for the Hillcats and Criner, a guard, put 13 points on the board. Halftime saw the Builders trailing by 19 points, a deficit that continued fairly steadily through the second half.

The teams were almost even in rebounds, with Rogers catching five more than Southwestern. Stewart led with 12 rebounds throughout the game, with Criner coming in at 6. Tylar Hartfield, senior forward, led SC with 7 rebounds with Jackson coming in a close second with 6.

The women will play Northwest Missouri State on Friday and Briar Cliff University on Saturday as part of the Northwest Missouri State Classic. The games will take place in Maryville, MO at 7:30 p.m.

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.