Paige Carswell/Collegian photographerGoing, going, going gone. It’s not a game show, but rising gas prices seem to be on one as they don’t seem to be slowing down any.

By Leslie Ash

According to gasbuddy.com, some places like California, New York and Washington are seeing gas prices of $3.75 to $3.82 per gallon. With the average tank of gas in the country at $3.53, rumors are circulating that gas could reach $5 per gallon by the end of the year.

“I don’t think it’s going to reach $5, but I think it will get ridiculously up there,” said Marie Hart, theatre education sophomore.

“They pre-warned us that it was going up to $3 per gallon. Now we are going up even higher and it’s ridiculous. We’ve been running this long on gas. Why all of a sudden do we have to increase? It doesn’t make sense to me and I have two classes that are off campus that I can’t walk to,”said Lentia Krejci, theatre education senior.

One reason why gas prices are rising, according to financialnut.com, is that oil is priced on the U.S. dollar. When the value of the U.S. dollar weakens against other currencies, it becomes cheaper to purchase for other currencies and more countries can buy it. Demand goes up and the price of gas goes up.

For many, the rising gas prices have caused them changed their routine to save on their gas consumption.

“I find myself carpooling around more with the gas prices. I drive a Dodge Caliber and it gets decent gas but I do carpool,” said Hart.

“I find myself walking more because of the gas prices,” said Krecji, “We just got done with Chicago, at the same time part of my motivation was to lose weight for it. It’s kind of been a win-win situation, but we live in kind of a carpool community, so if one of my friends is going to Wal-Mart I ask if I can tag along.”

According to money.cnn.com, gas prices in European countries are averaging out to $7.50 to $8 per gallon. Japan is averaging out at $6.30 a gallon while Canada is averaging $4.49 per gallon. The country with the highest gas price is Norway with gas at $9.28 per gallon.

With the supply and demand, what does this mean for the average American car? Will people have trade up to a new car or will they be able to?

Krejci says, “I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix and it’s fine it could be better, I’ve already taken out so many student loans. There’s no way I’m going to find a new car to buy.”

Leslie Bowdich is a senior majoring in communication. You may email her at leslie.ash@sckans.edu.