Garrett Chapman

The Winfield Recreation Commission, often known as the Rec, has numerous activities that students at Southwestern are unaware of. The Rec center, as Scott Schoon, superintendent of the Rec said, “We have a fitness area, aerobics room, dance studio, as well as a gymnasium.”

The center is open Monday through Thursday 5:30 a.m.– 9 p.m., Fridays 5:30-7p.m., Saturdays 8 a.m.-1p.m., and Sundays 1-5 p.m. The hours are the same throughout the year; with the exception of October to May. During these months, Saturday is open until 5p.m.

Students at Southwestern can work out in the fitness area for a one-time payment of 70 dollars. The membership is valid August 15th through May 15th. In the fitness center, you will find three areas of equipment: cardiovascular area,14-station paramount equipment, and a free-weights area.

The cardiovascular machines include: treadmills, elliptical cross trainers, adaptive motion trainers (AMT), bikes, and a stretch cage. The 14-station paramount equipment includes machines designed to work your legs, chest, back, arms, and abdominal muscles.

The free-weight area has 1,600 pounds of free-weight. It also has benches, dumbbells, and boxes. “I really enjoy working out at our Rec center because it is clean, friendly, and a motivational environment,” Robbi Lee, business administration senior.

The latest remodeling of the fitness center, Fitness on Demand, was added Jan. 2. With this program you can choose from many different workout classes to follow. A member of the fitness center may use this anytime during operating hours. Fitness on Demand is also available to the public for just three dollars per class session. “With the new edition that was added on this year it is very spacious and suitable for various needs of what people are looking for in a town Rec,” said Lee.

The aerobics room is a place to do a P90X style of workout. You can go alone, with a team, or even with a group of friends. The room has a full wall mirror so you can fix your form accordingly. In the aerobics room, you will also find multiple exercise balls. You can use these to stretch or work your abdominal muscles. There is a hard wood floor that is great for work out shoes.

Attached to the gymnasium is a dance studio where many different classes are offered. There is taekwondo, tumbling and gymnastics, pre-school jazz, jazz one, hip hop, theatrical, lyrical, pre-school ballet, ballet one, tap one, and moves madness. Classes are from Jan. 21 to Mar. 15. The cost is inexpensive to attend the classes are between seven and 18 dollars.

Last is the gymnasium. In the gymnasium, they host pickle ball, indoor soccer, and intramural basketball leagues. The gymnasium has designated walking times on Mondays through Fridays. You can also play basketball with friends anytime in the gym, with no membership.  

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communication. You can email him at garrett.chapman@sckans.edu.