By Korie Hawkins

Dressed in pink with a girl next door mentality, coated with sex appeal she grabs her audience’s attention with her cadence tone, punctuations, and by topping her lyrics off with a few growling shouts.

Rapper, singer, and songwriter Nicki Minaj is not your average female artist.

Signed by rapper Lil’ Wayne to Young Money Entertainment, Minaj is dominating the hip-hop industry with her lyrics and vocals. Known for her quirky alter egos, she portrays dominance to her male audience while remaining relatable to her female audience.

Alter egos can make or break an artist. In Minaj’s case, Barbi and Roman have only added to her hip-hop rapper image. Barbi is the trendsetter, decked out in pink and candy colored wigs. Barbi aids her female audience with new trends and confidence. Roman, the dominant combat soldier, hooks the male audience by keeping up with male rapper Wayne.

“Pink Friday” focuses around personal issues for the artist, and appeals to women on a personal level rather than sexual. Most female rappers have to rely on sexually explicit lyrics to sustain their male audience, and in order to make it in the rap industry. Minaj lyrically holds onto both her male and female audiences by combining rap and R&B vocally.

Minaj released her first album on Nov. 23, 2010.” Pink Friday” reached no. 2 on the Billboard charts. “Your Love” reached no. 1 on the Billboard Hot Rap Songs chart, making Minaj the first female rapper to top the chart since 2002. She is the first artist to have seven Billboard Hot 100 hits in the same year.

Nominated for a Grammy this year for Best Rap Performance with a Duo or Group, Minaji is showing no signs of slowing down. Collaborating with artist like Rihanna, Drake, Ludacris, Wayne, Kanye, and Eminem her talents have won her BET Award’s Best Female Hip-Hop Artist and Best New Artist.

“Pink Friday” runs about an hour long, consists of 18 songs, and is suitable for male and female audiences.

Korie is a senior majoring in journalism. If you have any questions you may e-mail her at korie.hawkins@sckans.edu.