Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, drives the lane versus Ottawa. Bryan finished putting up 10 points and grabbing eight rebounds. (Rodney Marner/Collegian Photographer)

A combination of a sticky time clock and a slow first half didn’t stop the 22nd ranked lady Builders from capturing their third straight road win against Ottawa University 81-61 at Wilson Field House.

Thursday night’s game moves the Builders to 6-1 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and 12-5 overall. The Builders are ranked second in the KCAC rankings behind the 20th ranked Friends University.

“I was very pleased with the effort from the team,” said Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach. “I’m just very proud of them, they are focused on what they want to get done.”

Right at tip-off the Lady Builders struggled to control the game. They had 11 turnovers, and lead by a slim margin going into the second half 34-28.

“As a team we didn’t rebound very well and turnovers hurt us,” said Denly. “We came out and improved during the second half.”

The Builders started the half in an explosive manner. They held the Lady Braves to 34.5 percent shooting from the field and scored a total of 47 points during the half.

“We played great the second half,” said Ellen Blattner, senior forward. “As a team we had control of the game and we had some key players make some great plays.”

Brett Bates, senior guard, led all scorers with 22 points, shooting seven of 12 from the field and six of eight from the line. Last week Bates was named the KCAC women’s basketball player of the week.

“There was not just one person who stood out during the game, it was a team effort on and off the bench,” said Blattner.

Annjelina Robinson, junior guard, came off the bench to score 12 points and snatch five rebounds for the Builders. Robinson also shot a perfect six of six from line. Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore guard, followed putting up 10 points and grabbed eight rebounds.

“We have to take it one game at a time, away or home,” said Blattner. “Everyone on the team has to be focused and ready.”

The next game for the Lady Builders will be at 5 p.m. Jan. 14 at Bethany College.

Erica Dunigan is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu