By Min Jiao

Providing an atmosphere for learning is important. 100.3 The Jinx provides a learning opportunity for communication students. Tommy Castor, adjunct instructor of communication, said, “The way I view the radio station on campus is the same way a biology student would think about doing a lab. They’re learning how to do it now and get real-life experience while they are in college.

“It’s really important for us to have a college radio station that the students here on campus can listen to, hear their friends on the radio, call and request a song if they want to and they can listen to their favorite music,” said Castor.

The radio station is used by many students for enjoyment. Major renovations to the radio station will start in July, making it even more enjoyable.

Tom Jacobs, division chair for communication, computer science and English said “What we are going do over the summer is gut what’s there and take everything out, take the wall out that divides the two parts. Then we will put in new furniture and new equipment.”

Castor said, “We are going to spend a month and a half working really hard down here so that everything is going to be done when the students get back in the fall.”

Jevyn Voss, communication junior, is general manager of 100.3 The Jinx. He said, “What the radio station looks like right now is nothing like what it will look like next year. We’re going to bring in a lot of new DJs. The student body can be more included with the radio station.”

Jacobs said, “The radio station programs for students on campus and the local Winfield audience, particularly when we have athletic events.”

“The local Winfield area is through broadcast and then we stream it through the internet so parents of students who play here can hear the game on the radio even if they are in California or someplace,” said Jacobs.

Bill DeArmond, professor of mass communications and film, said, “The radio station was started in the 1940’s. Students at Southwestern worked in local radio. Then they got their own studio and it was called a carrier current, meaning they broadcast through electricity.”

The campus station provides a setting for students to learn as much as they can. Castor said, “The most important thing is, that when they graduate, they know what they need to get a job in radio.”

Kyle Killgore, communication junior said. “I learned it’s not just going into a booth and talking, making you famous, and there are a lot of technical things that go with it.

“There’s lot of working with the software and making commercials, things like that. Also try be interactive and make people not only want to listen to me, but talk back to me, kind of makes it like a conversation,” said Killgore.

Killgore said, “This year there has been an increase in the DJs we have had. With the renovations that will be going on, it will be more professional style of studio.”

Min Jiao is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her min.jiao@sckans.edu.