By Kyle Killgore

Jennifer Hendrixson, class of 2012, and Chandler Kirkhart, class of 2012, pose for a picture in front of the 77 Steps at Southwestern College. On Feb. 2, Kirkhart proposed to Hendrixson over the radio in Liberal with his new single, “Maybe.” (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer).

Chandler Kirkhart, master’s student, and Jennifer Hendrixson, master’s student, will be taking the next step in their 14 month relationship after Kirkhart proposed through a song on Feb. 2.

Kirkhart’s song “Maybe,” debuted after an interview with Joe Denoyer on 102.7 The Legend in Liberal, Kan. Hendrixson was in the studio during the interview but was unaware of what was going to happen next.

After the bridge and into the final chorus, Kirkhart got down on his knee with ring in hand and as the song as the song asks the question, “Jennifer Rose Hendrixson will you marry me?”  through tearing eyes, Hendrixson said yes.

The idea for the song came from a message that Hendrixson sent to Kirkhart on Facebook while they were separated for a break from school.

“The message said, I kinda, sorta, maybe, most likely, miss you,” said Kirkhart, “So for a year I’ve worked on that song and had to pace myself on that song because I wanted to make it for the right time.”

During the interview with Denoyer, Kirkhart forgot that he had told Hendrixson that it was an artist interview and Denoyer was going to make it look realistic.

“He’s asking all these questions and my mind wasn’t there,” said Kirkhart, “I was answering the questions but I was just rambling and I wasn’t thinking when I spoke.”

Kirkhart had been secretly working on the song leading up to the engagement with Carter Green, of Greenjeans Studios. When Denoyer brought up the new song Hendrixson was confused.

“They started talking about his new song and I had no idea that he had recorded a new song, or had been working on a new song,” said Hendrixson, “I was like, what is going on here?”

When the song began to play, the torture of waiting set in for Kirkhart.

“The first part of the song is not a proposal so I’m just sitting there waiting. I was so nervous. I felt like a little kid sitting up there twiddling his thumbs,” said Kirkhart “It’s not like the movies where it just cuts to the romantic part there is the waiting.”

Kirkhart’s sister, Annalynn Kirkhart, 15, helped with the backup vocals in the second verse, in an effort to portray Hendrixson’s voice.

“That is the part where Jen was supposed to be answering me. I was scared that [Annalynn’s] voice wasn’t going to sound old enough,” said Kirkhart, “She knocked it out of the park.”

Kirkhart considers himself a perfectionist but his only concern was Hendrixson’s liking for the song, and her answer to his proposal.

“If everyone hated it besides Jen and she loved it then that is perfection,” said Kirkhart

Kirkhart had been planning this proposal for several months.

“I bought the ring in December, but I had been looking at it since October.” Said Kirkhart

The Tuesday prior to the proposal, Kirkhart nervously asked for the Hendrixson’s father’s blessing.

“I was so nervous,” said Kirkhart, “The guy could bend me over backwards. When he gave me his blessing he began to tear up and he gave me a hug. When I saw that I really knew that I had his blessing.”

Though Kirkhart had been planning this proposal for several months, Hendrixson was not aware that the proposal was going to happen so soon.

“Last week he said that I had to wait for two years,” said Hendrixson, “so I wasn’t expecting this at all.”

The couple is planning their wedding for the late summer or early fall of this year. However, Hendrixson is enjoying the idea that she is now engaged.

“After it happened I was in shock, I felt like I was in a dream,” said Hendrixson, “I should have said maybe.”

Kyle Killgore is a junior majoring in communications. You may email him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu.