Tyler Harrel, sophomore, takes out the ball in the beginning of the first set in singles. Harrel and the women’s tennis team hosted Hesston in the season opener on March 1.

Both men’s and women’s tennis teams opened their spring season March 1 against Hesston at home. The Lady Builders won their last match against Hesston 8-1, while the men’s team lost their match 2-7. Jason Speegle, Green Team leader, is helping the teams in their preparation for the new season.

“We are happy to have Jason Speegle as our new assistant coach,” said tennis head coach Randy Smith. Speegle was coaching the men’s team against Hesston.

The tennis teams started practicing last week, Feb. 20. This is a quick start for the tennis team since they usually start their season late March, but this time early games were planned. Tennis teams will continue their scheduled games as they host Emporia State University on March 10 at 10 a.m.

The women’s tennis opened the matches with Melissa Roetzer, junior winning in the first match 3-0. Kelsey Smith, freshman, followed winning the first set 7-0 and winning the second 10-4. Sara Peck, freshman, fell 4-3, Tyler Harrel, sophomore, lost 2-0. Abby Gengler, freshman, tied 0-0 and Katie McNett, junior, won.

For the women’s doubles, Roetzer and Smith won 9-7, McNett and Gingler won 8-6 and Peck and Harrel won. The overall score for the women was 7-2. Southwestern beat Hesston.

“We are really proud of our freshmen that are playing,” said Smith. “They come and are filling the gap the seniors left.”

For the men’s matches, Max Manley, sophomore, opened the first game finished in a draw 0-0, as well as Nick Morris, sophomore, drawing1-1. Josh Sapp, sophomore, won 4-2 and Michael Bond, freshman, lost 2-0. Jacob Mires, senior, lost 3-1, while Jessie Riggs, junior, was defeated 1-0.

During the men’s double matches, Bond and Manley teamed up. They fell 8-4. Morris and Sapp snatched the victory 8-3, and Riggs and Mires stumbled 8-4. The final score for the men’s tennis was 7-2, Hesston got out with the victory.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.